Fresh Apple Bread Pudding with Caramel sauce ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I hate to gloat but........ I just had a cup of coffee and a piece of apple bread pudding for breakfast. Damn! That's good stuff Maynard!

Its just too easy, I had some left over French bread (good bread makes good pudding). Its like smoking its more about a little prep and wait than any type of fancy cooking. I never made my own caramel before, usually I go with a good rum raisin sauce, but its just too simple also.

See all those little bits of apple in there? I also added some cider to the custard (with some spiced rum), and got a wild tangy taste! The apples are not real predominate (but they never are), but you know they are there. BTW I used Honey Crisp my favorite just at the moment.

Oh and caramel?

Never did it before, but..... I don't know why I have not been doing all my life except for the fact I'd be dead by now from a coronary ..... LOL

Bippity Boppity Boo! Put 'em together and what have ya got? Bippity Boppity Boo! A dang good breakfast!

Throw in a cup of good dark roast coffee.... not much else could stand up to it. I mean this would even make a glass a whole milk run crying like a little girlie boy.

I just wanted to gloat, I will be back in a bit with recipes after the tech rep calls and figures out why I can copy and paste from my own cook books......... Grrrr......

BTW I was really impressed how good it turned out, I have never seen or heard of it before, but had it been a cow patty with that caramel sauce on it there would be a line for more.....ROFLMAO I did google it, good ol'google and it seems to be fair popular, just not here!

BBL with the recipes. Its all simple stuff any country home would have on the shelf or reefer.

I do love a good bread pudding and that one sounds great. I will be waiting on the recipe.... 
drool.gif

Dang it Foam that looks great!!! nice job

I hope you feel better now making all of us slobber all over our keyboards!!!

DS

Apple Cider Bread Pudding

Ingredients:

6  tablespoons butter 

5  large eggs 

3 cups  heavy cream 

2/3 cup  apple cider 

1/3 cup  rum spiced 

1 cup  packed light brown sugar 

Pinch  salt 

6 cups stale Good French Bread Cubed 

1  Honey Crisp apple Peeled, cored and diced 

½ cup raisins

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with the butter and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, cider, sugar, Captain Morgans, salt. Add the bread, diced apples, and raisins, stir to combine. Allow to sit a minimum of one hour, 3 or 4 is fine too. Pour into the prepared dish including any extra custard and dot the top with butter.

I sprinkle a little sugar and nutmeg on top, it crystalized and adds a different texture.  

Bake until the top is golden brown and the center is firm, about 1 hour.

Remove from the oven rest on a trivet for 15 to 30 minutes, cut and pour on sauce.

I do love a good bread pudding and that one sounds great. I will be waiting on the recipe.... 
drool.gif

WOW!  You have my mouth watering!  Bread pudding is hard to beat, and yours look fab.
Thank you guys, Its a first for me, well an apple bread pudding is. It really was a nice diversion and a great way to make one during the apple season.

I am completely beside myself that I never made caramel sauce before. And I guess everyone likes it.  

Looks tasty!
Thank ya sir...... its really good and its new to my recipe box. I though I had thought of something new, then ya use that google thingie and its obviously been done. How can I become a great chef and have a signature dish if every time I think of something some one else already did it.

Dang it Foam that looks great!!! nice job

I hope you feel better now making all of us slobber all over our keyboards!!!

DS

I'll tell you what I have noted. It does leave a caramel apple after taste that's not unpleasant also.

Very rich taste with the caramel.

Caramel Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups white sugar

12 tablespoons butter (Cut into 12 pieces)

1 cup heavy cream

pinch of salt

Directions:

Liquefy sugar in high sided pan (stirring and watching like an old hen), when all liquid add butter pieces. Milk fats in butter will cause foaming hence the high sided pot.Add the cream slowly using a thin stream after the fat from the butter has finished bubbling up.  Stir till smooth and add salt. You'll probably want a heavy pinch, so the salt comes thru. once sooth turn off the stove and stir occasionally. Its sugar, liquid napalm, you know the drill. Be careful, as it cools it thickens so don't worry about how thin it looks.

This stuff is totally awesome, I suggest you jst make some and try to keep it in a jar in the reefer, it won't last long!

Fixed the recipe!!! Thank you mfreel!

Last edited:
Reactions: tropics
Wow Foam, that looks so tasty.... :drool We really like this kinda dessert & then when ya add a good cup of coffee, just tastes that much better ! Thanks for sharing the recipe as well ! Thumbs Up

Looks good!!! Great use of the fresh apples!!! 

Ever try adding a wee bit of cognac or bourbon into your caramel?

...or a splash of the spiced rum you used in the bread pudding, to carry the flavors from the caramel to the bread pudding...

...just add the liquor away from the flame or 
th_violent5.gif
could be the result... 
jaw-dropping.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky