• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Tri tip ever for Florida boy

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I saw the Publix ad this morning & they had tri tip for $5.39 a pound. Never seen tri tip here before. I thought it's a little pricey but what the heck. You Cali guys say this is the best cut of beef for sammies. I hauled my a%# over to Publix & scored a 2.26 lb tri tip. Brought it home, washed it off, patted it dry. Coated it with EVOO and Tones Canadian Steak seasoning. Put in fridge for 1 hour, then into WSM. Started WSM with 1 chimney of unlit lump mixed with some mesquite chunks. Put 8 lit briquettes on top, put cold water in the pan and the tri tip was right out of the fridge. Wanted to cold smoke the tri tip first. It took about 30 minutes for the WSM to get to 215, which is where I wanted it to stay at. Then it took another 30 min. for the tri tip to get to 128. Pulled it off & seared it on a 600 degree gas grill. 1 minute on each side. Then into foil for 1 hr. on the counter top. Here's some pics:

Sorry the pic is a little blurry, but it's just a basic rub. I wanted to taste the beef.

Here it is rubbed down ready to rest in the fridge.

Onto the WSM.

Here are a few sliced pics. I can see how you Cali guys love this tri tip. I have never had any roast beef taste like this before. It's absolutely incredible.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to Publix for finally getting this in your stores in Florida.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Awwww Al !!!!!

That's done just right !

Thanks for showing!!!

Bear

gotarace

Limited Mod
Joined Jan 27, 2011
Looks GREAT Al.... seeing all this smoked sammy meat sure makes me want to smoke some

jakerz66

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 7, 2011
That's an interesting rub what's in it? I haven't done much beef on the smoker but that's how I like it med rare

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Man that looks good.  I will have to try it if I can find it

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I've only had it once at a buddies house and it was awesome. Great looking TriTip.

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010
Excellent looking piece of meat. 

Around here in Orlando, it's a hit or miss. One week I can find it, two weeks I can't. 

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Looks Awesome Al!!

Little horseradish and sour dough rolls and you're in heaven my friend!!!

Todd

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
  awesome

rp ribking

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 29, 2009
Al, You need to go to smokers awareness, before it gets to bad. Beef looks great. Let's see a pic of that grill.

RP

kansasqueball

Smoke Blower
Joined May 1, 2010
Sweet!  I'm going to have to run over to Costco now and pick up some tri-tips for a smoked beef fiesta.  Love the tri-tip.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
It looks like you have been doing them forever!  You can find more tender meat, but the flavor is hard to beat.

brickguy221

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 27, 2015
This is a popular seasoning for Tri-Tips in CA. Learned that from one of my Sons that lives in CA. It is what I use on Tri-Tips after my Son told me about it.

amazon" style="max-width:120px">

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks like a good seasoning!

I'll have to give it a try!

Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.