First Tri tip ever for Florida boy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I saw the Publix ad this morning & they had tri tip for $5.39 a pound. Never seen tri tip here before. I thought it's a little pricey but what the heck. You Cali guys say this is the best cut of beef for sammies. I hauled my a%# over to Publix & scored a 2.26 lb tri tip. Brought it home, washed it off, patted it dry. Coated it with EVOO and Tones Canadian Steak seasoning. Put in fridge for 1 hour, then into WSM. Started WSM with 1 chimney of unlit lump mixed with some mesquite chunks. Put 8 lit briquettes on top, put cold water in the pan and the tri tip was right out of the fridge. Wanted to cold smoke the tri tip first. It took about 30 minutes for the WSM to get to 215, which is where I wanted it to stay at. Then it took another 30 min. for the tri tip to get to 128. Pulled it off & seared it on a 600 degree gas grill. 1 minute on each side. Then into foil for 1 hr. on the counter top. Here's some pics:

Sorry the pic is a little blurry, but it's just a basic rub. I wanted to taste the beef.

a3e2e8e0_3-3-111.jpg

Here it is rubbed down ready to rest in the fridge.

61d00200_3-3-112.jpg

Onto the WSM.

49e802f5_3-3-113.jpg

Here are a few sliced pics. I can see how you Cali guys love this tri tip. I have never had any roast beef taste like this before. It's absolutely incredible.

8e92cba2_3-3-114.jpg

08891ebf_3-3-116.jpg

f4eb2f84_3-3-115.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks to Publix for finally getting this in your stores in Florida.

That's an interesting rub what's in it? I haven't done much beef on the smoker but that's how I like it med rare

Excellent looking piece of meat. 

Around here in Orlando, it's a hit or miss. One week I can find it, two weeks I can't. 

Looks Awesome Al!!

Little horseradish and sour dough rolls and you're in heaven my friend!!!

Todd

This is a popular seasoning for Tri-Tips in CA. Learned that from one of my Sons that lives in CA. It is what I use on Tri-Tips after my Son told me about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky