First timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sheed88

Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!

I've only done one Turkey so far. I used hickory which seems to be a popular choice. I used pellets in my mail box mod.
What type of smoker did you get?

I would use a fruit wood like apple. a light sweet smoke would go well with poultry and some spices you are using. a couple suggestions...

1. spatchcock the turkey or butterfly as its called too...cut out the back bone and spread out for even done-ness in light and dark meat
2. do not cook a huge turkey. limit a smoked turkey to about 14# if you need more use 2... at 225 degrees you have a possibility of parts of a turkey being 40-140 degrees too long.(over 4 hours) if its one of those 20 lbers
3. for crisp skin spray the skin towards the end like the last 45 min-hour with pam spray and turn up the heat to about 325 degrees to finish.
4. use a meat thermometer and get it to 160 degrees before pulling out the cooker. use the thermometer to judge done -ness and gauge the amount of cook time left

good luck and

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.

A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.

I’m using a vertical masterbuilt propane smoker

Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!
What is your Cajun recipe?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky