• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First timer

Sheed88

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I've only done one Turkey so far. I used hickory which seems to be a popular choice. I used pellets in my mail box mod.
What type of smoker did you get?

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2013
I would use a fruit wood like apple. a light sweet smoke would go well with poultry and some spices you are using. a couple suggestions...

1. spatchcock the turkey or butterfly as its called too...cut out the back bone and spread out for even done-ness in light and dark meat
2. do not cook a huge turkey. limit a smoked turkey to about 14# if you need more use 2... at 225 degrees you have a possibility of parts of a turkey being 40-140 degrees too long.(over 4 hours) if its one of those 20 lbers
3. for crisp skin spray the skin towards the end like the last 45 min-hour with pam spray and turn up the heat to about 325 degrees to finish.
4. use a meat thermometer and get it to 160 degrees before pulling out the cooker. use the thermometer to judge done -ness and gauge the amount of cook time left

good luck and

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Steve H

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
You know Aaron. Come to think about it. I bet Alder wood would work well too.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Poultry takes on smoke real easily. If you do use hickory, go lightly with it.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I guess I use either hickory or oak on everything, cause it's easy to get down here.
Al

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 27, 2018
A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.

Sheed88

Joined Nov 15, 2019
A lot of it has to do with what type of smoker you got and how high you can get the temp. Apple does pair very well with poultry. I second on the spatchcock method. Turns out great results. If you can smoke at 300-325 and pull when breast gets close to 165 let it rest for 30 min before carving.
I’m using a vertical masterbuilt propane smoker

jrisebo

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 19, 2015
Hey everyone,

I just got a smoker and I’m planning on making a smoked Cajun turkey tomorrow (just found out about this awesome website). Any recommendations on the best combination of wood chips/chunks with that Cajun turkey? I’m using a Cajun type brine and then coat it with some Cajun and other spices as well.

I appreciate any advice so just let me know!
What is your Cajun recipe?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks