First time smoking a full packer brisket tomorrow. Going with the hot & fast route. What can I expect? Any tips/pointers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
This is my rough plan of what to do and expect:

275-300 degrees

Mustard binder

Sprinkle with rub

Fat down towards heat source

Wrap in butcher paper at stall, usually around 160-170, as long as bark looks good

Finished when probe tender and jiggly

Rest for at least an hour in cooler, wrapped in towels, after meat comes down to 180

How's my plan looking? My biggest concern is the timing. How long should I expect my brisket to take at 275-300? Before trim it's 17.5lbs, so I'm guessing around 12-13lbs after a trim.

Any help/input anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with your smoker, but at a friend's house and he has an old commercial fridge turned into smoker...lit at 5:30 am on Saturday morning, pork loin and two briskets went on shortly after that. Pork loin was done quite early. Smoker was running at 300 degrees, briskets wrapped in foil around 165, and temp reduced. We had potluck at 6 pm.

Ryan

At 275-300, I would guess about 45 min. to an hour per pound trimmed. If you have them, I would put at least 2 probes in the brisket. One in the thickest part of the flat, and one in the point. Good luck & take some photo’s!
Al

Reactions: chilerelleno
You really don't need the mustard but some do it. We use straight cracked black pepper and salt (50/50), more of a Texas style approach. Let it sit on the counter for 30 min then into the smoker. Agree with SmokinAl SmokinAl , somewhere between 45-60 min per pound. I'd use the 60 min to give you some leeway. Every brisket is different and gets tender when it wants to. Always give yourself enough time, that's why many suggest you plan on getting done 4 hours early. It can always rest longer. Your plan looks spot on!

Good luck and show us pix!

Hey, all. Decided to go with 300 and put the packer on at 930am this morning. It's been 4.5 hours and the brisket is at 174 on one probe and 164 on another. I haven't seemed to hit a stall yet. Is this normal? Should I wait to wrap? Should I wrap anyways? Is a wrap needed at all, if I'm not hitting a stall?

My guess is you are right at the stall. Give it another 30 minutes, if temps are moving up you are good, if still steady then wrap. If wrapped I would expect total cook time of 7-8 hrs. 300F steady is a lot of horse power and you may never really see the stall.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
My guess is you are right at the stall. Give it another 30 minutes, if temps are moving up you are good, if still steady then wrap. If wrapped I would expect total cook time of 7-8 hrs. 300F steady is a lot of horse power and you may never really see the stall.
I'll keep an eye out, thank you. Right now the probes are at 168 and 179, so still climbing. Time will tell

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky