What do you guys think of my game plan for a hot and fast brisket for tomorrow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
I'm using a masterbuilt gravity 1050, for reference.

Smoker to 275 degrees

Half Pickle Juice and half Mustard binder

Put generous amount of rub (Trying out John Lewis's, hence the pickle juice and mustard binder)

Fat down towards heat source

After about an hour, start spraying with apple cider vinegar

Wrap in butcher paper at stall, usually around 170-175, as long as bark looks good, fat is rendered and looks translucent, putting tallow on paper first and putting the meat side down onto the tallow (last brisket skipped the stall, so should I aim to wrap at a certain temp?)

Put brisket in fat side up, flat closest to the flame

Finished when probe tender and jiggly

Rest for at least an hour or two in cooler, wrapped in towels, after meat comes down to 180 (does it have to come down to 180?)

Any help and feedback you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

this makes 0 sense to me !!
what are you trying to "bind" to what ?
from the sound of your post your cooking a brisket , are you afraid the meat is going to fall apart ?
why would you need a "binder " ?

He's talking about a binder to help his rub stick to the meat. Yellow mustard is often used for this because the flavor basically cooks out.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I had to look him up. Interesting. Worth a try.

Every aspect of bbq'ing a brisket can and does get argued ad infinitum. I go direct from the smoker to a 170°F oven for a 3-5 hour rest. I used to rest in a cooler covered with towels. I've tasted magic since going to a longer rest in a warm oven.

I'm using a masterbuilt gravity 1050, for reference.

Smoker to 275 degrees

Put generous amount of rub (Trying out John Lewis's, hence the pickle juice and mustard binder)

Fat down towards heat source

After about an hour, start spraying with apple cider vinegar

Wrap in butcher paper at stall, usually around 170-175, as long as bark looks good, fat is rendered and looks translucent, putting tallow on paper first and putting the meat side down onto the tallow (last brisket skipped the stall, so should I aim to wrap at a certain temp?)

Put brisket in fat side up, flat closest to the flame

Finished when probe tender and jiggly

Rest for at least an hour or two in cooler, wrapped in towels, after meat comes down to 180 (does it have to come down to 180?)

Any help and feedback you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
275F is really not hot and fast, it’s more mainstream BBQ. Hot and fast would be 300F or higher.

using mustard and or pickle juice is a great base layer for rub sticksion, but really adds no flavor to the final product, unless you brine in pickle juice, that adds dill and vinegar flavor, it’s great with chicken.

Spritzing with cider vinegar can help build bark but adds no flavor and is counter productive to cooking, a fools errand.

The stall generally occurs at around 160F not 170-175F, so if wrapping, around 160F is best. On your cooker it will make little difference as to fat down or up. This is good to pay attention to with a pellet cooker with a central fire pot but not a big deal on the Master Built GF.

Lewis says seasoning with just salt and pepper is b.s.
I know that statement is in fact b.s

These “pit masters” will put out a lot of disinformation, they all do it. Probably to keep you from discovering that the most simple and basic recipes are actually what tastes the best. Everyone is looking for seasoning nirvana, while the ”masters” are using SPOG and smoke.

Reactions: noboundaries
Lewis says seasoning with just salt and pepper is b.s.
I know that statement is in fact b.s

These “pit masters” will put out a lot of disinformation, they all do it. Probably to keep you from discovering that the most simple and basic recipes are actually what tastes the best. Everyone is looking for seasoning nirvana, while the ”masters” are using SPOG and smoke.
That's about where I'm at. I may on occasion use some rub or other on beef, but the best I've turned out was seasoned with SPOG.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks everyone for the solid feedback. I've never heard of SPOG, but after looking it up, it makes a lot of sense, so that may be my best rub to try out. What's MSS?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky