Feedback Wanted: First Time Trimming/Smoking Packer Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MilwaukeeBBQGuy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2020
Hey everyone - Fairly new to the forum, and decided to attempt my first full packer brisket smoke. Hoping to get a little feedback on my trim job as it was my first time. Watched a ton of videos online and everyone does it different!

Two questions:
1. Any feedback on how I trimmed this brisket? (left about 1/4 inch of fat on the bottom, and cut down anything hard)
2. About how long should I expect for about an 11 pound brisket if I'm smoking at around 275?

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_181312.jpg
    IMG_20201002_181312.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201002_181325.jpg
    IMG_20201002_181325.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 32
Without seeing the other side, I would say your trim looks pretty good. You can figure about one and a half hours per pound at 225 but----each piece of meat is different and your mileage mat vary.

Without seeing the other side, I would say your trim looks pretty good. You can figure about one and a half hours per pound at 225 but----each piece of meat is different and your mileage mat vary.
Yeah, I realized I should have gotten a pic of the other side before throwing it back in the fridge. Any suggestions? Been wondering if I should take a little more off the flat (front of the pic).

What smoker are you using for the brisket?
Pellet grills (poopers) really changed the time and temperature estimates versus the charcoal and wood
I trim the fat cap down more than most. Meat takes the smoke directly. Fat in the pan takes smoke,too. I melt and add to the reheat brisket slices

I don't trim my packers as much as the pics, but like you said, "everyone does it different." I trim hard fat, big chunks of fat, and anything discolored (brownish). A little extra fat on the flat helps even out the thickness with the point. Up to 1/2" is fine for me on the outside. It's going to render down, anyway. I'll only trim down the fat between the point and the deckle if it is really thick, like 1".

I used to trim real close, the 1/4" thing or less, but no longer. My last 13 lb'er (after trim), was 225F overnight, wrapped at 185F IT, then 280-285. Total time was 11 hours on the smoker (207 IT but not quite probe tender for a "Choice or better" labled packer). Threw it wrapped in a 170F oven for 3.5 hours until ready to cut and serve. Was butter tender and melt-in-your-mouth but didn't fall apart. My mouth starts watering every time I think about it. Still have some vacuum-sealed in the freezer.

Last edited:
What smoker are you using for the brisket?
Pellet grills (poopers) really changed the time and temperature estimates versus the charcoal and wood
I trim the fat cap down more than most. Meat takes the smoke directly. Fat in the pan takes smoke,too. I melt and add to the reheat brisket slices
I'm using a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 - vertical propane smoker. I'm about 2.5 hours in right now, running between 265 and 275. Brisket is at 141F.

I don't trim my packers as much as the pics, but like you said, "everyone does it different." I trim hard fat, big chunks of fat, and anything discolored (brownish). A little extra fat on the flat helps even out the thickness with the point. Up to 1/2" is fine for me on the outside. It's going to render down, anyway. I'll only trim down the fat between the point and the deckle if it is really thick, like 1".

I used to trim real close, the 1/4" thing or less, but no longer. My last 13 lb'er (after trim), was 225F overnight, wrapped at 185F IT, then 280-285. Total time was 11 hours on the smoker (207 IT but not quite probe tender for a "Choice or better" labled packer). Threw it wrapped in a 170F oven for 3.5 hours until ready to cut and serve. Was butter tender and melt-in-your-mouth but didn't fall apart. My mouth starts watering every time I think about it. Still have some vacuum-sealed in the freezer.
Yeah, I might try leaving a little more fat on next time to see the difference. That's where all the flavor is anyways! :-)

Quick update... having started this at 5:00 AM this morning, I just realized I grabbed the wrong spice container and only added pepper as the rub, instead of the 50/50 SP mix I had made. Oops....

I threw a little extra salt on the bark that was forming, but no going back now. Any major issues anyone sees the lack of salt causing? I do have a nice bark formed, so excited about that! :-)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky