First time smoker....need a little advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dajints

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Robbinsville, NJ
Just got a Landmann GOSM. Seasoned it. Has rained every day!!!!! Father's day for the old man plan to smoke a turkey (frozen not fresh kill....gonna inject instead of brine as it wont be defrosted until right before cooking time) and some ribs. I know ribs gotta go low and slow around 225 or so but I worry the turkey skin wont get crisp.....any thoughts???

My advice would be to pull the turkey at around 150-155 and put it into an oven set at 350 to finish cooking that should give you a crisp skin

cool.gif

Nopw I thought of several things and all the folks before me told you just about everything that you need to know about your smoke. Now I would recommend jerry's advice and throw the bird into the oven for the crisping of the skin.

All the help is appreciated.......I will post some pics as the day goes on Sunday. Thanks for the hep forum!!!!!!!

Could use a touch of help...Ok.....smoker steady at 230 with turkey and 3 racks of ribs in. Took a while to get temp steady with all the meat but now not really smoking. Is something wrong or just takes a while to smoke again after adding the ribs and getting temp back up?  Help appreciated?

Too late to help with the skin- you can coat it with extra virgin olive oil next time you cook, gives you a nice brown crisp skin.

I don't own that cooker so I can't help with the no smoke problem.

Looks good.   You may want to alternate your ribs every so often to keep them cooking even.   The top rack is hooter than the ones below.   You can move your therm around to get a good feel of the temps at different places in your smoker.

I moved around earlier. Had 3 racks and really had to struggle to make 2 fit on same rack (top rack) without overlapping. Thanks to all for the advice so far...I cant wait to eat...hope it all tastes as good as its looking and smelling!!!!!!

Do you have a remote thermometer?   What is the temp of the bird at the thikest part of the thigh?   Did you put anything in the cavity?

I think the ribs will be done long before the bird.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky