First Pork Butt On The Homemade Cabinet Smoker (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We were out of pulled pork in the freezer and this just is not gonna work for Tracy. I made a Costco run on Friday and picked up a 2-pack of boneless pork shoulder butts. Decided to toss one of the smoker early Sunday morning for a hot & fast cook. Seasoned it up with my pork rub and onto the smoker it went.

5:30 Sunday morning. This is the larger of the two and I'm guessing about 10 pounds or a little more.
001.jpg

Ahhhh....a little sunrise TBS
002.jpg

At the 5 hour mark. Bark is starting to form nicely
003.jpg

9 hours it's probing super tender so into the house to wrap and put into the cooler for a couple hours. Amazing bark on this thing.
004.jpg

After a couple hour rest it's time to pull it. Nice smoke ring and a tasty, crunchy bark.
005.jpg

A couple of homemade sour cream potato and onion rolls
006.jpg

A pseudo Mexican street corn salad. I was lacking some of the ingredients so improvised
007.jpg

Split the rolls, add cheese, PP, fresh onions, and a drizzle of Jeff's sauce. Plated with the salad and a pickles ala SmokinAl SmokinAl We LOVE these pickles.
008.jpg

Slice the sandwich and out to the patio to eat
009.jpg

Piled high and tasting good
010.jpg

This was an exercise in simplicity. No baste, no mopping, no injection, no sauce, and no wrap till it was done. Just season it up and let it go. My target temp was 275 but after a couple tweaks it settled in at 279 and just sat there all day long. Every hour and a half or so I'd have to add another chunk of mesquite but that's it. I'm loving this smoker!! The pork was juicy, really tender, and very flavorful. The rolls were made a few days prior and frozen so I only had to get them out to defrost. The salad, although improvised, was really good!! We both liked it better than the one I have a recipe for that's been made several times. Sadly though I didn't write anything down :emoji_disappointed: Oh well, a great meal and we have 5 pounds of PP portioned out into vac seal bags and in the freezer now. All in all a very successful day. Lots of yard work and lots of great food.

Thanks for dropping in and I'll see everybody soon enough, I'm sure.

Robert

Awesome Meal Robert! So glad your craftsmanship paid off again, but not surprised! The No recipe thing catches me at times too, it’s frustrating🤣 Beautiful pork and plate!

Another awesome cook Robert, looks great! That smoker makes a fine addition to your collection of cookers. RAY

Awesome Meal Robert! So glad your craftsmanship paid off again, but not surprised!
Thanks so much Jed. I am loving that smoker. So easy to use, maintain temps, and great heat recovery. I can see this going a long way for me.
Looks fantastic, Robert.
Thank you Doug!! It came out really well.
Man you been doing some cooking Robert. Looks really good. Keep it going.
Very much appreciate ot Brian. You too have been turning out some great stuff so please keep it coming.

Robert

Looks awesome Robert! Now that you've got the design flaws worked out, I bet that smoker is a dream to run a cook on!
Thank you Keith. It has turned out to be a pretty amazing cooker. I'm very happy with it.
Another awesome cook Robert, looks great! That smoker makes a fine addition to your collection of cookers.
Very much appreciate it my friend. Tracy actually said that I should sell the T-Pit and build another one of these. Why I wonder do I need 2 of them?
Great looking meal. What kind of smoker is that?
Thank you Sven. That is an insulated vertical cabinet smoker I built a couple months ago.

Robert

Looks awesome.

Haven't done pulled pork in a while.Might just have to remedy that very soon after seeing yours.

Looks like that pit is treating you right! Pork looks fantastic. I need to make up some big batches of Jeff’s Sauce. I do it high octane snd also sugar free w h Brown Swerve. I modify a little in the sugar free with molasses flavor drops. I have several friends who flip for the sauce.

That pulled pork looks really good Robert. It also reminds me that I'm almost out of the pulled stuff.

Point for sure
Chris

Very nice Robert! That smoker does a nice job!
Thanks so much. Yes, that smoker is working out amazingly well. Loving that thing.
No way I could have gotten away with just one plate!
Thanks Jim, but who said I got away with only one plate? :emoji_wink: I only took pics of one plate. By the time I was done with that the plate looked kinda yucky so no more pics.
Looks awesome.

Haven't done pulled pork in a while.Might just have to remedy that very soon after seeing yours.
Very much appreciate the kind words. Like you, it had been a while since doing PP but that's one of Tracy's absolute favorites and I get a fearful earful from her if we run out :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Awesome Robert! That PP looks great. Along with the other items as swell.
Thank you my friend. The PP is pretty simple and basic but that salad was off the charts.
Thats one fine looking sami! And I nice haul on the pulled pork.
Very much appreciate it Dave. Something about the homemade buns really adds to the overall experience.
You don't, the T-pit is way too fine to get rid of!
Thanks Ray, but the reality is that I just don't need the T-Pit any more. Certainly it's a fine smoker and will make somebody really happy but with the cabinet smoker out there, the T-Pit won't ever get used. No point in having it take up so much valuable real estate on the patio just for window dressing.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky