First time smoker....need a little advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
doing the 3-2-1 method for the ribs so 6 hours....12 lb bird started an hour before the ribs...bird about 135 now so a little ways to go. Cavity filled with chunks of onion, carrot, celery, and apple

9f8a3e97_turkeydone.jpg

Turkey and Ribs were both a great success!!!!!   Thanks to all who gave tips and advice!!  Next smoke is gonna be brisket, armadillo eggs and ABT's!!!!!!   Looking forward to the July throwdown!!!!!!

Chips were burned up,...only 90 minutes    added more that soaked longer   smoke coming back..
Just got my new GOSM like your's this past week too!  You mentioned using "chips," find some chunks and a pan will last you longer.  Not sure if you did, but I started preheating because that wood box is such heavy cast.  I meant to get a 9x9 metal cake pan for my third smoke today...but forgot to pick one up.  I've seen where others have also cut down a coffee can to replace the heavy cast wood box.

EDIT - did want to mention I added some chips to my chunks today and I'm a little on the fence because it created a ton of smoke...I pulled the box 45 minutes in to my smoke and dumbed the chips out....I was worried because it started to get well beyond that TBS.  YEP, I'm a newbie...LOL

Hope you had a good smoke today!

Last edited:
I am going to pick up the 9x9 pan to replace the cast iron box. Question though...do you then cover with aluminum foil with holes poked or leave uncovered??

dajints, is the smoker a Model 3405BGW (Wide Body) with a smallish SMOKER box, 5" X 5" OR SO?

If it is, do a search on this forum for some mod ideas, some folks have come up with some clever ideas to obtain TBS.

I have used a mini dutch oven as a smoker box on my first GOSM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky