First time Frito pie with some twists

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
A recent post of Frito pie's got me thinking. I have never had it before, saw it on TV once. Wife is out at a business dinner tonight so now was my chance. I had plenty of a chili mix of sorts from last nights stuffed peppers. Chop meat, black soy beans, onions, riced cauliflower that where doctored up with ancho, guajillo chili powders, cumin and taco seasoning. I also added home grown, pickled habaneros and peach ghost scorpion peppers.

2.jpg

Hit Trader Joe's and got me some giant Inca Peruvian corn nuts instead of corn chips, layered on the bottom of the bowl
1.jpg

layered chili mix and cheese on the first layer
3.jpg

couple more layers of each then topped with more cheese, nuts and sour cream.
4.jpg

It was very good and super spicy, I will do variants of this again. My stomach is already gurgling, wife might not be happy later tonight and I am sure I will have the "ring of fire" going on tomorrow...lol

Last edited:
Sounds and looks good !
Thanks Winter

Like the corn nut idea, thanks for sharing this!
Thanks, love corn nuts, never saw the BBQ ones but they sound awesome.

Corn nuts are underrated and great in anything. I love that take on Frito pie.
yeah Sven corn nuts are awesome...too bad they are high in carbs
Aaaaand the corn nuts said, "see you in the morning"
No Jake the ghost peppers will see me in the morning...lol...ouch

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Come on ice cream! But glad you had a chance to try it...with your own take on things of course!

Ryan

Reactions: clifish
I saw your post in the other thread and thought hell yeah, I love Corn Nuts, especially the Chile Picante con Limon,
And they'd be fantastic with chile-n-cheese.
Now I see you followed through and now, "I must make this tomorrow!"

Also, love the use of the chiles, fresh and powder, some great flavors and heat there.
You need to eat more spicy stuff and your poor sphincter wont think it's a volcano sitting on the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Nice Job on that Frito pie Cliff. Just be happy you didn't try it during the toilet paper shortage.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Looks great Cliff . Love corn nuts , so I bet they where great in the chili .
Nice work bud .

Come on ice cream! But glad you had a chance to try it...with your own take on things of course!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, If I had ice cream I would

I saw your post in the other thread and thought hell yeah, I love Corn Nuts, especially the Chile Picante con Limon,
And they'd be fantastic with chile-n-cheese.
Now I see you followed through and now, "I must make this tomorrow!"

Also, love the use of the chiles, fresh and powder, some great flavors and heat there.
You need to eat more spicy stuff and your poor sphincter wont think it's a volcano sitting on the Pacific Ring of Fire.
I can only imagine what you would do with this Chili!

Nice Job on that Frito pie Cliff. Just be happy you didn't try it during the toilet paper shortage.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, there was never a shortage of TP in this house...lol

Looks great Cliff . Love corn nuts , so I bet they where great in the chili .
Nice work bud .
Thanks Rich, they held up pretty well. The ones one the bottom softened a little but still had good texture.

Great Twist Cliff. I love frito pie and corn nuts. I just recently cleaned out freezers and gave away all my chili. Guess I know what I have to do now.
Go make more Brian, maybe add some catfish to the mixture.

Spice it up Cliff looks great 👍

Keith
Thanks Keith, it was spicy that is why I topped it off with sour cream.

Reactions: gmc2003
Strong work! I love frito pie and have had it in many different variations, but as I'm preparing sloppy joes for supper I wonder how that would go over. I have no Frito's so that's a question for another day.

Strong work! I love frito pie and have had it in many different variations, but as I'm preparing sloppy joes for supper I wonder how that would go over. I have no Frito's so that's a question for another day.
Fritos would work great in sloppy Joes I think!

I used to love corn nuts. Turns out, my dentist loves them even more. The damage they inflict in people probably paid for his daughter's college tuition.

I got some once as an airline snack that weren't so hard. But I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Ok, that is really creative and interesting...and I love the idea. You wouldn't be able to get me away from the table if there was a bowl of that in front of me. I really like this Cliff!!

Robert

Great take on a frito pie. With the temps dropping here this week I am thinking a pot of chili is on deck!
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky