First time dry aging, suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
I finally decided to get my feet wet with dry aging.

What i ordered: https://umaidry.com/collections/all/products/sampler-packet-umai-dry-vacmouse

You might laugh but I've been watching alot of guga foods videos on YouTube and he makes it seems so easy... is there anything i need to know when getting into this stuff?

He also has a video of dry aging a single steak for testing, but everywhere i look, they say you can not do a single steak. Yet he did it

His video of single steal dry aging:

I got the 3-pack of UMAi dry age bags some time back. I did 3 separate whole boneless rib roasts, 28, 35, and 45 days respectively. I came to the conclusion that with the weight loss, what I had to trim off the roasts, the price of the UMAi bags, and a hardly noticeable difference in flavor that it just wasn't worth the time or expense. I'm done with dry aging. RAY

He's not my favorite, but I've watched a decent amount of his videos. Including that one.

Maybe I'm just an uncultured swine, but it's hard for me to imagine that dry aging improves the taste significantly especially given the amount of money invested like Ray said. I haven't tried it, so it's just an uninformed opinion though.

Reactions: sawhorseray
So you guys think that just investing in better quality meat rather than the bags and adding the amount to wasting meat, that better quality meat is the better deal?

I just want to do it to say I've done it, and to see what the talk is all about

Go right ahead, that's pretty much why I tried it, there's no harm in finding things out. I'm pretty much happy with USDA "choice" meat I get from Sam's or Costco. When you figure the three UMAi bags I think were $23, you lose a few pounds drying and a couple more trimming off the rubber exterior that forms, the fridge space it takes up, and then it just didn't taste much different to me. RAY

If it interests you, that's all that matters. I would say go for it and try it, either you like it or you don't lol.

Maybe if you think there is an appreciable difference, I'll change my mind and give it a go as well :)

Reactions: smokinq13
The UMAi bags are great for transforming a money muscle from a porkbutt into a capicola, done it a few times over the last two years and it's worth the time and expense. I'll most likely do that again, maybe make a lonzino that way also, they work good on the charcuterie side of life where you are transforming one thing into something completely different, should work well on salami too. For me, there was no earth shattering difference in a ribeye steak sous vide and torch charred, so I'm just not going that route again. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky