First Time Brisket - Smoking Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aharvey2000

Original poster
Aug 3, 2015
I have a Brinkman Electric Smoker until I upgrade, super cheap but has worked out great over the past few years.

My wife went to the market and picked up a 3lb Brisket, and had this cut in half. I do not know what type of Brisket, but could find out if I it is needed.

How long should I smoke a 1.5lb Brisket? Any suggestions on a Rub, and what type of wood to use?

Obviously this is just for me and her with probably no leftovers. Maybe if this works out she will let me buy a whole one.

Thanks guys!

Adam

Hi Adam,  sounds like you are smoking a small flat.  You're right you probably won't have to worry about left overs.  Flats can be difficult to cook in that they tend to dry out easily, so plan on wrapping after IT  of 150-160 degrees.  Average smoke time is 1-1 1/2 hr per pound at 250 degrees, but some of mine come out under an hour a pound.  However I usually smoke packers, all that said smoke to an IT of 190-205 degrees.  Have never tried a brisket that size so may take some experimentation but it shouldn't be long.  Central TX rub is just salt and pepper, but you can throw in onion or garlic powder, or anything else you like.

Last edited:
Thank you for the assistance! I would love to say I can control the temp but I can't, so it may be a bit lower than 250. So wrap it and then keep it smoking until the 2-2.5 hours is up?
Thanks again,
Adam

Adam the smallest brisket I've cooked is 10 lbs so I'm guessing.  I can't control temps on my smoker either but try to keep them around 250.  If you haven't cut it yet leave it the whole 3 lbs, you are going to have it shrink anyway when you cook it.  A 1 1/2 lb brisket may cook under 2 hrs, important thing is to track internal temperatures, I hope you have some type of probe thermometer.  If so just cook by temperature instead of time, wrap in foil at 160 degrees, remove 190 to 205.  I usually shoot for taking off the smoker around 200, sometimes go a few degrees over.  Important thing is when you take it off, stick it in an empty ice chest/cooler for at least an hour.  Brisket is a tough cut and this will help tenderize it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky