First time Brisket smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Geebs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Olathe, Kansas
Hey all, I am new to the forums as of the last few days and have enjoyed the friendliness of the chats. I just purchased a Camp Chef Woodwind and fired her up last weekend doing some steaks and a pork shoulder.

Today I embarked on the dreaded Brisket smoke, I have had this Brisket sitting in the freezer waiting for the right opportunity and I thought why not run it on the new woodwind. It’s just a little one, 4 1/2 lbs. So last night I put a ton of rub on it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Got up about 6am and put her on high smoke with an a-maze-n 12” smoke tube next to it. Checked it at about 1130 and she was at 160, here is where I made my mistake and decided to wrap it, there wasn’t much of a bark when I wrapped it and not sure why I decided to but too late now. I put a little beer in the wrap for moisture as I really didn’t want this thing to dry out. Went and ran some errands and came back and it was at 185, decided to take it out of the wrap and put it in a pan to get some bark on it. I kept moving the 2 temp probes I had and was getting different readings every time I moved it which I thought was really odd. Anyways I let it run to 195 and then put it in a cooler for 2 hours to rest. Total time on the smoker was 10 hours. Once it was done resting I unrapped the foil and was a little dissapointed the bark was still moist. I cut into the brisket and found the reason that my temps were reading a little crazy, there was about a 1 inch fat line that ran in a slant all the way across which I assume my temp probes were hitting. Flavor was great from the actual meat and I think I got a great smoke ring. Top of the brisket above the fat line was a little dry but below was moist. Lots learned in this smoke and hopefully get a better cut next time. Enjoy the pics!
EA70D1BE-C392-4B01-92F8-4EE15C3B6920.jpeg

A459FE4B-E2DC-49DD-AAD9-A21A4D75AD91.jpeg

1159963D-9128-4E2D-9C17-50D253454577.jpeg

I just learned last night about a Texas Crutch. Wrapping in foil is a Texas Crutch.
My limited experience with wrapping in foil, does a steam bath that drives heat into the meat.
Then you need a period of unwrapped heat to dry up your creation, and create a crust or bark.
But it looks Great! And no doubt you will do better. But it looks great for a first time try on a new gill.

Reactions: Geebs
Thanks guys. Definitely not a piece of meat I will smoke a lot, I prefer pork shoulders, ribs, and wings for smoking but was fun to do. I have another cow being butchered soon so I’m hoping this next brisket will be of better quality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky