First smoker version of Mothers Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shyzabrau

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 29, 2017
Troutville, Virginia
This is for the wife, not my mother. My mother doesn't move to the area until July...

I asked the wife what she wanted for Mother's Day. She said she wanted to hike with the kids (and dogs) and eat a nice dinner at home. This is her request for a menu: salmon, grilled asparagus, smashed garlic potatoes, and crème brûlée.

Here are my thoughts...

Salmon: Disco's easy salmon with a shallot/dill glaze. Smoke with my new AMZNPS. Maybe Italian spice?

Asparagus: sous vide with salt/pepper, butter and fresh garlic; ice bath; grill marks on a smoking hot grill; toss with garlic butter from bag

Smashed potatoes: small, thin-skinned potatoes. Lightly smashed (enough to expose interior, but still able to hold together). Pat of butter, minced garlic and herbs on top. Two hours of smoke.  (Cherry? Italian spice?) Coarsely mashed with heavy cream and additional seasoning as needed.

Any suggestions or comments? Procedural changes or recipe changes?

I'll keep a photo documentation for your viewing pleasure...

After reading some other posts this morning, I think I'll kick everything off with a salad topped with Bear's hot bacon dressing in honor of my PA Dutch heritage. (My parents grew up about 20 miles from where Bear lives...)

Trying out my AMZNPS. I learned that one row's worth of pellets can NOT be microwaved for 90 seconds, stirred, and microwaved for another 90 seconds. They started burning and melted the plastic bowl. I als learned that my MAPP torch is too powerful for lighting the pellets, which had half the row burning before the ten minute blow out. (Heavy white smoke).

Hopefully I have it smoking properly now...

Today I am trying to test everything in hopes that tomorrow will go smoothly.

For the garlic smashed potatoes, I am using thin-skinned gold and red potatoes. For the test, I popped one in the microwave for a minute, rubbed it with olive oil and then partially smashed it. I put salt, pepper, thyme and minced garlic on top.

I made Disco's rub and put it on a piece of salmon.

Pop them in the smoker!

Now to make the glaze, the creme brûlée, the bacon dressing, and test the asparagus.

But first to the hardware store for a propane torch.

The glaze is very simple. 1/4 cup of mayo, 2 tablespoons fresh dill, 4 tablespoons finely minced shallots.

I had been smoking at 190, but after an hour, the salmon was already up to 130, so I turned it down to 140. I fanned the door a bit, but the temperature didn't drop much. At least I'm not adding any more heat (other than the AMZNPS).

I put the glaze on at one hour into the smoke.

Trying out my AMZNPS. I learned that one row's worth of pellets can NOT be microwaved for 90 seconds, stirred, and microwaved for another 90 seconds. They started burning and melted the plastic bowl. I als learned that my MAPP torch is too powerful for lighting the pellets, which had half the row burning before the ten minute blow out. (Heavy white smoke).

That must be some nuke you have.  I can nuke mine twice for 2 minutes with no problems.  That said, if I do it twice for 2.5 mins the nuke fills with great smelling smoke.  Luckily I nuke mine on a dinner plate, not plastic.

Gary

Well. That was an abject failure.

Here's the salmon after it was on the smoke for about 90 minutes, pulling it at an IT of 140.

The wife took one bite and made a horrible face and threw it away. Said that the smoke had a chemical flavor that was overwhelming.

I pulled the potato after two hours and mashed it more. The wife didn't have the same reaction but said she'd prefer it without the smoke. I thought it was pretty good, but this is for her dinner.

I guess I won't be smoking anything. Maybe a steak for my son and myself since neither of us like salmon.

I don't know if it was the AMZNPS or what. I used the AMZN apple pellets.

Sigh. My Bradley doesn't work worth a darn and now I am failing with the AMZNPS. I hope I can get it worked out so I can smoke some food!

I'm about to throw some bacon-wrapped chicken thigh bites on the smoker now, for appetizers, along with a steak for my son and myself to split. Gotta have SOME smoke!

Last edited:
I cut the boneless skinless chicken thighs up into roughly 3/4 ounce portions. I dusted them with a rub that I had left over from my last butt.

I wrapped each piece in half a slice of bacon and applied another dusting of rub. Here they are ready to go into the smoker, along with a steak. I'll smoke the steak for awhile then shift it over into a sous vide bath at 135 until I am ready to toss it on the grill for a reverse sear.

I'm getting a lot more smoke from my AMZNPS than I expect. I will have a lot more experimentation to do.

Oh yeah - the three smaller pieces front right are bacon-wrapped dates. I had half a slice of bacon left and couldn't let it go to waste.

Last edited:
I use my mapp torch for lighting the tube smokers. It does not need to be run as long as the directions say. 1-2 minutes and you'll have a cherry red spot in the pellets. Your good to go.

I don't microwave my pellets never found the need to.

I use my mapp torch for lighting the tube smokers. It does not need to be run as long as the directions say. 1-2 minutes and you'll have a cherry red spot in the pellets. Your good to go.

I don't microwave my pellets never found the need to.

My MAPP torch isn't adjustable. I flamed it for 45 seconds and I set more than half the row on fire!

Even with my propane torch on low, 45 seconds is too long and too many pellets are burning. I've got some trial runs ahead..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky