First smoker version of Mothers Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After about three hours smoking with a mix of apple and sugar maple, set at 150 (although it would go a bit higher at times, due to the AMZNPS), I vacuum sealed the steak and put it in the sous vide bath at 133. (The steak had an IT of 105 when I removed it from the smoker.) I added some garlic, butter and fresh thyme.

I'll pop it on a hot grill to finish it right before we eat.

Last edited:
After I took the steak out, I bumped up the temp to 320 to finish cooking the chicken bites. After they got up to 165, I fanned the door to cook off the chamber and set it to 150 to act as a holding oven.

Here they are!

For the asparagus, I vacuum-sealed it with garlic and butter and sous vide it for five minutes at 185.

Basically the same as blanching it, without exposing it to water. Then I put it in an ice bath and popped it in the fridge until just before dinner. The sous vide makes the timing more convenient.

I got my gas grill as hot as I could get it and grilled the asparagus.

Here they are after I pulled them off of the grill.

I tossed them with sea salt, coarsely ground black pepper, red pepper flake, and freshly grated Parmesan. Just before serving, I squeezed on some fresh lemon juice.

No final picture until the plated picture.

Last edited:
The daughter had her wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. The son won't eat salad. The wife and I, along with her best friend (kids' godmother), started without the kids with the salad and wine/beer.

I tossed some mixed spring greens with some freshly picked baby dandelion greens. I tossed on a few halved grape tomatoes. I dressed it with Bear's hot bacon dressing and topped it with some pickled shallots. (And freshly ground black pepper, of course...)

I decided to make this since my mother (and father, but it is Mothers Day) is Pennsylvania Dutch and I wanted to honor her (in a small way).

My wife and her friend gave it high reviews and my wife asked me to make it again. Luckily I have plenty of the dressing left over!

Last edited:
According to my grill's thermometer, the temp was 675. I don't believe it, but I hoped it was hot enough to give me some quick grill marks without overcooking the meat that was a perfect 133.

I removed the steak from the sous vide, and the bag, pulled off the thyme, and popped it on the hot grill.

I wasn't completely happy with the grill marks. I let it rest and just before serving, I hit it with my blow torch. Then I sliced it up...

I gave a couple slices to my wife and friend (their main protein was the salmon (coming up)) and split the rest between my son and I. I made some garlic/parsley butter and put a pat on the steak when I served it.

Last edited:
After the abject failure of smoking the salmon yesterday, I didn't want to risk it for Mothers Day.

I dusted the salmon with Bear's rub.

I had some leftover garlic/parsley butter so I tossed that in a skillet to crisp the skin.

After a few minutes, I slathered it with the glaze. I topped it with a thin slice of lemon and popped it in the oven for about ten minutes.

Plated picture to follow...

Last edited:
In addition to the above, I quartered and boiled some thin-skinned potatoes (red and yellow). I added a bunch of butter, garlic, parsley, and salt & pepper, and smashed them (rustically, leaving some larger pieces intact).

I served the following dish for my wife:

She said it was the best salmon she's ever had, including restaurants. She said the steak was even better. She said the asparagus was the best part of the meal.

She said that the potatoes were good.

My wife is not prone to hyperbole and she rarely makes compliments just to protect my ego. This was some good food.

It didn't hurt that I primed her with one of her favorite Chardonnays...

But how was dessert, you ask?

I made Alton Brown's creme brûlée. I made the custard yesterday and topped it with the caramelized crust between dinner and dessert. To make it my own, I added some mint chiffinade. My mother gave me a mint plant last year. She took it from her plant which originates from a plant that she took from her grandmother when she was a teen, which she kept alive throughout our treks in various parts of the US and Saudi Arabia. The mint played well with the rich vanilla custard.

Another rave review from the wife.

I hope you all enjoyed this journey with its tragedies and successes.

I got too busy this weekend to start the UMAi salami and to make some more sausage, but it won't be long. Stay tuned.

Now I just have to figure out how to (properly) smoke salmon. My daughter loves smoked salmon.

I don't know if it was my equipment or my process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky