First smoked turkey meatloaf!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simoon

Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Sitting around with my girlfriend yesterday wondering what to make of dinner. Happened to have about 2 pounds of ground turkey in the fridge (girlfriend sautés it to enhance dog's food), so I figured I'd use about a pound of it and try my hand at a smoked meatloaf.

Sautéed some onions, peppers, added to ground meat with salt, pepper, 1 egg, cracker crumbs, garlic and onion powder, a few squirts of some homemade habanero hot sauce, then on the electric smoker at 250 degrees with cherry wood.

While it was smoking, I made an onion, habanero, jerk sauce, and brown sugar 'jam', cooked down until thick.

At 150 degrees, I spread the above jam on the meatloaf, then back on the smoker until the internal temp was between 160 and 165.

I can't believe how good a 'humble' meatloaf could be. And with pretty low effort.

I will definitely add this to my rotation, without hesitation. Not sure why I waited so long.

Reactions: Inscrutable
Meatloaf is classic comfort food, and offers lots of opportunity for variation/experimentation. Always one of our favorites. Like that glaze recipe.

We love meatloaf & usually make it with a combo of ground brisket & ground hot Italian sausage. Your’s sure sounds good! Sure wish you had included some photos of your masterpiece!
Al

I think what was so appealing about it, besides the great taste, was that it was a totally last minute decision, that did not take a lot of effort.

No overnight brining like for turkey breast, thighs, legs, and other poultry smokes. No 10+ hour brisket smokes, or 5+ hour pork shoulder smokes. No wrapping, no long rest times, and a minimal number of moppings.

It was 30 minutes of prep, 90 minutes on the smoker, hardly any babysitting, and done. And the size can totally be controlled. Even if there are only a couple of people eating, or a large group.

The flavor to effort ratio was off the charts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky