Meat Loaf Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
Thinking about doing a meat loaf soon.
Haven't done one in awhile.
Here's my thoughts...
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green pepper
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

roll it all together, maybe wrap in some thin baccon and cook at 250 till I hit 160.
Maybe put a little bbq sauce on it in the last 10 minutes or so.

Anybody have a good meatloaf recipie to share?

My current favorite is 1 lb of ground beef and 1 pound of chorizo sausage (fresh sausage, not the style in the small tubes which has liquid and includes organ meats) along with the usual onion, garlic, peppers, panko, egg and I usually add some hi-temp cheese. No real recipe with measurements... sorry. Using pork always keeps a meatloaf moist.
5NsCaQ9.jpg

YH4xSCi.jpg

Yep. There are tons of different meatloaf recipes, but the one thing that is non-negotiable, is that it has to be smoked. That was a total game changer for me. I swore off the stuff I grew up on until I mixed some up and threw it in my RecTec one day. Makes a darn fine meal fresh off the smoker, and the cold meatloaf sammies the next day are awesome.

I really love making meatloaf. Definitely in the top ten of all protein choices.
I like to make a three lb. loaf.

Two lbs. of 80/20 ground beef and one lb. of breakfast sausage.
One half bell pepper, chopped
One half yellow onion, chopped
One half Tbs. minced garlic
Two eggs
One Tbs. Worstorshire sauce
One and 1/4 cup Panko (may not need it all)
Three or four slices Provolone cheese (for the middle)
One quarter cup ketchup for glaze

Sautee onion and pepper in a little oil and butter, add garlic last couple of minutes. Let cool to room temp.
Mix ingredients except cheese and ketchup. Halve the mixture into two small loaves and put the cheese slices between them, seal the sides.
Smoke at 250* to 160 IT. Glaze with ketchup last ten minutes.

Not a real recipe, just something I throw together.
We like the ketchup glaze because that is the way both Pam's and my mother made it.

Reactions: Newglide
Here's my thoughts...
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt

roll it all together, maybe wrap in some thin baccon and cook at 250 till I hit 160.

I think what you have is pretty good. I would suggest swapping the salt out for Knorr brand Beef Bullion or Better than Bullion Beef to kick things up big time!

I always put a little bit of ground Cumin in mine as well but that may just be a regional thing from Texas but figured I would mention it :)

Smoke, if you have some Mesquite in the mix that will be amazing. Nothing better than Mesquite on beef!

Here's my thoughts...
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup green pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Sounds egg-zactly like my Grandmother's recipe except for 1/2-lb ground pork AND 1/2 lb ground lamb... :emoji_thumbsup:

There are TONS of recipes for meatloaf posted. One of my functional brain cells remembered this thread from awhile back.
You aint kiddin, there are plenty of recepies there. Thanks for the link.
You can eat meatloaf every day for 2 weeks and not eat that same one.
You got that right.
Maybe add an egg to help bind it.
Thanks, got 2 in there.
Sometimes just simple is better
I'm with you there
usually add some hi-temp cheese. No real recipe with measurements... sorry. Using pork always keeps a meatloaf moist.
Good idea on the cheese, where do you get the high temp cheese. I agree the pork should help
I swore off the stuff I grew up on until I mixed some up and threw it in my RecTec one day.
I am the same way, sorry mom but eating her meatloaf was like eating a brick.
Sautee onion and pepper in a little oil and butter, add garlic last couple of minutes. Let cool to room temp.
That's a good idea, hadn't thought about softening them up a little before add them in.
I think what you have is pretty good. I would suggest swapping the salt out for Knorr brand Beef Bullion or Better than Bullion Beef to kick things up big time!
Good idea, thanks
Sounds egg-zactly like my Grandmother's recipe except for 1/2-lb ground pork AND 1/2 lb ground lamb
Thanks Spook

That's a good idea, hadn't thought about softening them up a little before add them in.
Colin beat me to it . Sweat any added veg before mixing in , and soak your bread crumbs ( I use milk ) so they bring their own moisture .

OR , use a box grater and grate the onion into the mix without cooking . That works good for burgers too .

I like the meat in my loaf to be half pork, preferably chorizo. i like to dice the onion up super fine and use tons of garlic, sweat the onions a decent time at low heat to get some nice sweetness. I prefer panko breadcrumbs i think they retain more of the moisture. couple tbsp of w-sauce in the mix too. adding some finely diced/shredded carrot or parsnip to the onion sweating mixture can result in some great flavors too. maybe some chipotle peppers?

i love meatloaf. its perfect to develop a basic recipe/process for that you can do anything you want too. ground meat, veggies, binder, seasonings. the possibilities are endless.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky