• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoked ribs off the offset smoker

bhambrewer

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 16, 2020
As a late birthday present to myself, I bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio. Propane grill, charcoal grill, offset smoker. I am really happy with it because of its flexibility. The grate (quoted as 548sq in) is plenty big enough for 2 entire racks of spare ribs to lie flat.

How I prepared the ribs: removed the silverskin. Seasoned only with salt and pepper (roughly 2:1 salt to pepper). Spritzed with home made cider vinegar. Smoked over pecan, with Royal Oak briquettes instead of lump because I didn't pay attention to the product info :emoji_laughing:

Results: I overshot the temp and landed square in "fall off the bone" instead of "melt in the mouth". I don't care about that for one reason - my wife, who is always "meh" about ribs, *LOVED* these. So fall off the bone it is!

Served to "yum!" and "ooh..." and "yoink!" from my son and wife. Home made whiskey BBQ sauce (added bonus: no added sugar, so keto friendly). And point of pride for me - it may not be clear from the picture, but by damn, I got the smoke ring!

ribs.jpg

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 14, 2017
As a late birthday present to myself, I bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio. Propane grill, charcoal grill, offset smoker. I am really happy with it because of its flexibility. The grate (quoted as 548sq in) is plenty big enough for 2 entire racks of spare ribs to lie flat.

How I prepared the ribs: removed the silverskin. Seasoned only with salt and pepper (roughly 2:1 salt to pepper). Spritzed with home made cider vinegar. Smoked over pecan, with Royal Oak briquettes instead of lump because I didn't pay attention to the product info :emoji_laughing:

Results: I overshot the temp and landed square in "fall off the bone" instead of "melt in the mouth". I don't care about that for one reason - my wife, who is always "meh" about ribs, *LOVED* these. So fall off the bone it is!

Served to "yum!" and "ooh..." and "yoink!" from my son and wife. Home made whiskey BBQ sauce (added bonus: no added sugar, so keto friendly). And point of pride for me - it may not be clear from the picture, but by damn, I got the smoke ring!

View attachment 458738
I can definitely see the smoke ring. Looks good! I usually don’t cook ribs FOTB but I did on my last rib cook and it may be my new method. And congrats on the new cooker!

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Congratulations and amazing job

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Awesome looking plate. Congratulations on your success

bhambrewer

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 16, 2020
thank you all for your kind words. I am now looking carefully at the price of packer briskets at my local restaurant supply store (2.88/lb).... why, yes, I do think I should smoke all the things, why do you ask?!?

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
Sounds good. Sometimes I like the fall off the bone ribs. Waiting for my new offset to arrive so I can make some more.

bhambrewer

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 16, 2020
Sounds good. Sometimes I like the fall off the bone ribs. Waiting for my new offset to arrive so I can make some more.
I never realised the difference the offset made. My previous smoker is an electric one which is totally reliable but lacks that extra that the charcoal / wood combo provides :)

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I never realised the difference the offset made. My previous smoker is an electric one which is totally reliable but lacks that extra that the charcoal / wood combo provides :)
I agree offset cooking is hard to top!

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2013
Congrats! and good looking meal!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I never realised (sic) the difference the offset made. My previous smoker is an electric one which is totally reliable but lacks that extra that the charcoal / wood combo provides :)
My Big Chief electric added too much smoke flavor according to many people, most important my wife. Maybe it was my technique? Haven't used it in years.
I had a cheap offset that was kicked to the curb this spring after I got a pellet pooper.
Not promoting pellet pooper as I miss the added smoke flavor from the offset.
BUT
Wife prefers the delicate flavor from the pooper with a smoke tube, similar to an A-Maze-N.
Never tried a tube or tray in my electric but I think it would be a better method.

bhambrewer

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 16, 2020
Wife prefers the delicate flavor from the pooper with a smoke tube, similar to an A-Maze-N.
Never tried a tube or tray in my electric but I think it would be a better method.
at the end of the day, one of my big motivations is to hear an important sound while people are eating: the sound of silence. We have an acronym, "CTE" - "can't talk, eating!".

When the dinner table is silent apart from busy munching noises and the occasional "could you pass the...." comments, I get all warm and fuzzy inside :emoji_sunglasses:

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.