First smoked ribs off the offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
As a late birthday present to myself, I bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio. Propane grill, charcoal grill, offset smoker. I am really happy with it because of its flexibility. The grate (quoted as 548sq in) is plenty big enough for 2 entire racks of spare ribs to lie flat.

How I prepared the ribs: removed the silverskin. Seasoned only with salt and pepper (roughly 2:1 salt to pepper). Spritzed with home made cider vinegar. Smoked over pecan, with Royal Oak briquettes instead of lump because I didn't pay attention to the product info :emoji_laughing:

Results: I overshot the temp and landed square in "fall off the bone" instead of "melt in the mouth". I don't care about that for one reason - my wife, who is always "meh" about ribs, *LOVED* these. So fall off the bone it is!

Served to "yum!" and "ooh..." and "yoink!" from my son and wife. Home made whiskey BBQ sauce (added bonus: no added sugar, so keto friendly). And point of pride for me - it may not be clear from the picture, but by damn, I got the smoke ring!

ribs.jpg

As a late birthday present to myself, I bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio. Propane grill, charcoal grill, offset smoker. I am really happy with it because of its flexibility. The grate (quoted as 548sq in) is plenty big enough for 2 entire racks of spare ribs to lie flat.

How I prepared the ribs: removed the silverskin. Seasoned only with salt and pepper (roughly 2:1 salt to pepper). Spritzed with home made cider vinegar. Smoked over pecan, with Royal Oak briquettes instead of lump because I didn't pay attention to the product info :emoji_laughing:

Results: I overshot the temp and landed square in "fall off the bone" instead of "melt in the mouth". I don't care about that for one reason - my wife, who is always "meh" about ribs, *LOVED* these. So fall off the bone it is!

Served to "yum!" and "ooh..." and "yoink!" from my son and wife. Home made whiskey BBQ sauce (added bonus: no added sugar, so keto friendly). And point of pride for me - it may not be clear from the picture, but by damn, I got the smoke ring!

View attachment 458738
I can definitely see the smoke ring. Looks good! I usually don’t cook ribs FOTB but I did on my last rib cook and it may be my new method. And congrats on the new cooker!

thank you all for your kind words. I am now looking carefully at the price of packer briskets at my local restaurant supply store (2.88/lb).... why, yes, I do think I should smoke all the things, why do you ask?!?

Sounds good. Sometimes I like the fall off the bone ribs. Waiting for my new offset to arrive so I can make some more.

I never realised the difference the offset made. My previous smoker is an electric one which is totally reliable but lacks that extra that the charcoal / wood combo provides :)

I never realised (sic) the difference the offset made. My previous smoker is an electric one which is totally reliable but lacks that extra that the charcoal / wood combo provides :)
My Big Chief electric added too much smoke flavor according to many people, most important my wife. Maybe it was my technique? Haven't used it in years.
I had a cheap offset that was kicked to the curb this spring after I got a pellet pooper.
Not promoting pellet pooper as I miss the added smoke flavor from the offset.
BUT
Wife prefers the delicate flavor from the pooper with a smoke tube, similar to an A-Maze-N.
Never tried a tube or tray in my electric but I think it would be a better method.

Wife prefers the delicate flavor from the pooper with a smoke tube, similar to an A-Maze-N.
Never tried a tube or tray in my electric but I think it would be a better method.

at the end of the day, one of my big motivations is to hear an important sound while people are eating: the sound of silence. We have an acronym, "CTE" - "can't talk, eating!".

When the dinner table is silent apart from busy munching noises and the occasional "could you pass the...." comments, I get all warm and fuzzy inside :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky