First smoked bird, EVER!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnarlykaw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Protem/St.Louis
C1DA537A-D37F-41C1-A9AE-AD8F7E8DECD6.png FC8687A9-CB66-48F8-9A93-BBDF17B4397E.jpeg well, I wasn’t sure what I was going to end up with, but we all ended up with surprised, raised eyebrows!
I started out with jeff’s Maple smoked BBQ bird, but I had to tweaked it a bit for a “soft mouth” in the family. I sprinkled thyme, and sage, I let it cook for an hour, and then started mopping it with maple syrup, and cut it a bit with orange juice.
I gave the bird to my youngest boy to cut off a bit, once it cooled, and to give me his honest opinion, as to weather it was going to the table, or the trash! Skin was close, needs just a touch with a torch, avaarge temp was 260? He took a bite, and I watched his face, five seconds in, he started to smile. He passed the piece to a friend of mine , in town visiting, he took a bite, same response! Well??? It was juicy, tender, and just the right amount of maple flavor! The sage cut it just right. It’s mild! Not at all hot. We all agreed it was worthy for the table.
Now for the downside. I gotta cut it up tomorrow, and reheat it.
Looks to me, I’m gonna buy up a few more smaller birds, and experiment!

Really nice color on that bird, nice job.

Point for sure
Chris

We love smoked turkey and probably do at least one per month. Yours looks really good too.

Another way to crisp the skin is simply to pop it in the oven at 425F for 10 +/- minutes. When the skin sizzles everywhere...pull it.

Thanks for the skin idea! been trying to figure out how i wanted to deal with that. I got a feeling im going to have to put in my schedule for oven time as well?! one oven for twelve people! its going to be like schedule time with a crane, boom lift! HAPPY BIRD DAY YALL!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky