• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoke with my PitBoss 820!

Snizzley

Joined Aug 23, 2020
Hello All-

I have been bit by smoking bug (big time) and it feels great! I was using a Chargriller Offset with charcoal and wood for a couple months and having OK results. It was a ton of work and sometimes the brisket came out dry because it was hard to maintain low temps with real fire.

So I pulled the trigger on the PB 820 and it almost feels like cheating. I am somewhat torn because there is no craftsmanship with this pellet smoker after the cutting / prepping of the meat BUT you can dial it in easily and not be married to the smoker all day feeding it wood.

Anyway this seems like a great community and I am happy to be apart of it and share my triumphs and failures with ya'll. Happy grillin!

Attachments

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 12, 2020
Welcome. Im new here as well and ive been having a blast with my new pit boss 820. Some people complain about not getting enough smoke from a pellet smoker, but I think thats because they actually cook with it not smoke. I mean it this way, set your dial to smoke. Put a waterpan in there to stabilize temps, and dial it in with your p settings. I like smoking at low temps say around 150 to 175 most of the time but after 3 hrs or so i pick it up to 180 to 200 all with the p settings. lower temps equals higher p settings. I start with 6 and go to 4 if i want it a bit warmer. its counter intuitive, but thats how it works. If you still want more smoke use a tube smoker. I'll show you a pic of my setup thats been working stellar for me.
20200822_181213.jpg

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new smoker.

Sorry that no one forwarned you that smoking is habit forming. :emoji_laughing:

Snizzley

Joined Aug 23, 2020
Welcome. Im new here as well and ive been having a blast with my new pit boss 820. Some people complain about not getting enough smoke from a pellet smoker, but I think thats because they actually cook with it not smoke. I mean it this way, set your dial to smoke. Put a waterpan in there to stabilize temps, and dial it in with your p settings. I like smoking at low temps say around 150 to 175 most of the time but after 3 hrs or so i pick it up to 180 to 200 all with the p settings. lower temps equals higher p settings. I start with 6 and go to 4 if i want it a bit warmer. its counter intuitive, but thats how it works. If you still want more smoke use a tube smoker. I'll show you a pic of my setup thats been working stellar for me. View attachment 459826
Ah I totally forgot the waterpan! So you never go beyond the P setting? You just tweak the P setting up and down for the entirety of the smoke?

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 12, 2020
Ah I totally forgot the waterpan! So you never go beyond the P setting? You just tweak the P setting up and down for the entirety of the smoke?
Yes, for meat smoking. I do other things beside the low slow smoking where i increase the temps, but if you REALLY want smoke and to get that meat infused with it, 250 to 275 seems to be just too high with a pellet smoker. water pan and p settings and keep track of the temp difference . Ive had it as low as 140 and as high as 235 just using the p settings.

Snizzley

Joined Aug 23, 2020
Yes, for meat smoking. I do other things beside the low slow smoking where i increase the temps, but if you REALLY want smoke and to get that meat infused with it, 250 to 275 seems to be just too high with a pellet smoker. water pan and p settings and keep track of the temp difference . Ive had it as low as 140 and as high as 235 just using the p settings.
Awesome info. Thank you for the tips. I will definitely use the water pan and P setting for my next Shoulder smoke. Cheers-

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Congrats on the new rig!
Looking forward to seeing it in action!
Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.