First Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sargent51

Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I had a ~pretty good~ first attempt at a pork shoulder yesterday.  I put on a light coating of yellow mustard and then rubbed it down  with one of our favorite BBQ joint rubs, and let it sit overnight.  I smoked it at 225 for about 12 hours until it registered 195 degrees, removed it from the smoker, wrapped in 3 layers of tin foil and a ziplock bag and placed in a cooler for an hour. 

I had hoped for a little crispier bark...any suggestions on how to get that?

I also thought the meat was slightly greasy...any ideas why?  I want it MOIST...not greasy.

It pulled apart perfectly...the bone slid right out.  I'd say its a success for my first attempt, just need to tweak some things. 
15c5d3c9_photo.jpg

I had a ~pretty good~ first attempt at a pork shoulder yesterday.  I put on a light coating of yellow mustard and then rubbed it down  with one of our favorite BBQ joint rubs, and let it sit overnight.  I smoked it at 225 for about 12 hours until it registered 195 degrees, removed it from the smoker, wrapped in 3 layers of tin foil and a ziplock bag and placed in a cooler for an hour. I've never heard of anyone using a Ziplock at this step. 

I had hoped for a little crispier bark...any suggestions on how to get that?  If you did not foil at all until resting, then the only suggestion I have is to boost your cook temp to 250* once the meat hits an IT of 165*.  If you did foil during the cook, try holding off longer before foiling.

I also thought the meat was slightly greasy...any ideas why?  I want it MOIST...not greasy.  Prolly the Ziplock -- at least in part; my foiled and resting pork is placed in a pan to catch drippings that might leak out of the foil.  I set all of that on top of towels in my cooler and then cover with another towel for the resting period.   Always moist, never greasy.

It pulled apart perfectly...the bone slid right out.  I'd say its a success for my first attempt, just need to tweak some things.    Congrats!!!!

It isn't absolutely necessary that you Foil...it just makes holding easier until everything else is ready...If you want more of a Crunchy Bark...Don't foil...Just put the meat in pan, wait 15 minutes, then in the cooler for a rest...No Steaming = Harder Bark...

As far as Greasy...It may just have been a fattier than usual Shoulder you got...Trim it up more next time...Hope this helps...JJ

What JJ says! Crispy bark=no foil. Just let it rest on the counter.

I let mine sit until it's cool enough to pull with 2 pair of vinyl gloves on.

As for the greasiness, did you take the time to separate the fat out when you pulled it and did you use a finishing sauce?

I thought i saw a picture on here of someone using a ziplock...but that makes sense.  Next time i will leave off the foil and ziplock and see how that works out.

I didn't trim it at all before i smoked it.  I may try that next time...along with trying the fat cap down.

Trial and error, at least it wasn't a total flop...

Thanks all!  Keep the suggestions coming...

MS

Like Al and JJ said, No foil. It will extend your cook time but it's the only way to get crispy bark.

And Yes on the trimming, I trim all the fat I can and coat thoroughly with rub.

This one looks good though 

Like JJ says, for better bark , don't foil or wrap,bring it out of the Smoker and Pull (Bearclaws are helpful here),I smoke mine until the bone pulls out easily(that's around 190*f to 210*f),good Bark and pulls easily:

9b862eed_Betty004.jpg

Butts are very forgiving and a great learning cut.

have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky