Grapes = Jam last of this years harvest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So awesome! Nothing like something you grow, pick and make yourself! That jelly looks divine David!

Thanks Keith for the love and the comment

Yes the jam came out great, and now Mona's favorite jam that I have made, and yes I love making stuff from what I can grow.
This is the only thing that grew this year that could be used to process.
And the first year they produced enough to do anything with. I guess grapes like wet ( lots of rain ) compared to all the other fruit trees I have.

David

I guess grapes like wet ( lots of rain ) compared to all the other fruit trees I have.
Wet weather will make more fruit on grape vines for eating, but it is just the opposite for wine grapes...the more the vine struggles, the deeper the roots go, and the more minerals it pulls up into the fruits. Less water and the more intense the wine will be. This is why the best wine grapes are off vines that grow on slopes. The water runs off, not down into the soil.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice harvest Dr. Spud, and the jam looks fantastic. We lost our concords with the early frost this summer - bummer.

Point for sure
Chris

Grapes = Jam last of this years harvest

Well the grapes are ready, and I beat the crows and Raccoons to them. This was the best year for them. They must love a lot of water. Because that is what this year brought. The 10 apples, 4 pears , no plums and no cherrys , Nothing . Very bad year Early cold couple days after a very warm start.

At least I got my Grapes, Concord first real harvest big enough to use for anything

Collected 22 cups of ready to eat / use grapes , not counting what Mona and her mom chewed up lol.

View attachment 678262 View attachment 678263

View attachment 678269

So Grape jam on my list , 8 cups for this batch and 14 - 2 cup bags into the freezer

removed the pulp and seeds from the skin. Cooked both. Sieved out the seeds, added all together
reduced down , No pectin needed . Just butter, grapes , lemon juice and sugar.
After reduced and the plate test. Off to the bottles and in for their water bath.

Now good for a year , Ha Ha . this will not make it a year

View attachment 678264
View attachment 678265

This made 7 - 1/2 pint bottles ( 250 mil ) let these rest for the night

Now this morning, Had to try, I usually use a knife but this is " spoon worthy " lol .
Tastes great, and just the right thickness. Now I have a good recipe for my grapes
and when this runs out I have more in the freezer to make more jam

Now , excuse me while I have my Red Rose tea and My Grape Jam

View attachment 678266 View attachment 678267
View attachment 678268

This will also be on a future smoke as a glaze for maybe chicken or pork

David
Wow that looks absolutely amazing!!! nice work!

Wet weather will make more fruit on grape vines for eating, but it is just the opposite for wine grapes...the more the vine struggles, the deeper the roots go, and the more minerals it pulls up into the fruits. Less water and the more intense the wine will be. This is why the best wine grapes are off vines that grow on slopes. The water runs off, not down into the soil.

Wow, now that is interesting. I did not know that. Thank you. I thought the growing on the hills because that was the land they had , and dealt with it .

David

Nice harvest Dr. Spud, and the jam looks fantastic. We lost our concords with the early frost this summer - bummer.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Yes the jam is really good and smells just like grape Kool aid , I think that is what happen to all my other fruit trees , even the leaves took a long time to come out. But the grapes , best year ever and first time for a usable crop

David

Absolutely stellar David!! I agree with the other folks that it's so cool to grow something, harvest it, and turn it into magic...and that jam looks magical my friend. The problem is that we all love a PB&J sandwich, especially mom, and now you've got me thinking I need to make some. From the sound of it your process seems pretty simple so maybe even I could do it :emoji_laughing:

This will also be on a future smoke as a glaze for maybe chicken or pork
Or maybe some world class Wagyu beef from Canada?? :emoji_wink:

Robert

Absolutely stellar David!! I agree with the other folks that it's so cool to grow something, harvest it, and turn it into magic...and that jam looks magical my friend. The problem is that we all love a PB&J sandwich, especially mom, and now you've got me thinking I need to make some. From the sound of it your process seems pretty simple so maybe even I could do it :emoji_laughing:

Or maybe some world class Wagyu beef from Canada?? :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Yes I love that we / I can do that. Not much to use this year , but with this big load of Grapes, I am happy.

Came out very good, first time for this recipe, and it is a hit here in the whole house, now that I have 3 judges plus me.

Wagyu in Canada you say ........... Time will tell maybe even a Tri Tip. I think I found a place that has them, :emoji_wink: :emoji_wink:

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky