First question about fridge build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hi all. I’ve been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting.

I notice that all the builds are with old fridge or freezers. I have access to a free, almost brand new fridge. Can I do a build with a fridge like that or should I continue to wait till I find an old one? Thanks everyone!

Jeff

don't see why you couldn't use a newer one, the only thing is and I could be wrong but the newer ones probably have more plastic in them that needs to be removed, maybe someone with more experience with these builds will jump in.

Most of the new are plastic and cant use them,none of the newer have a enameled interior that I am aware of

Reactions: SonnyE
Like Mike sez, no plastic interior.
Don't even start.
If it works, you could use it as a curing fridge.
If not, steer clear of it.

Auctions are a good place to find old fridges. Even a lot of older ones still have plastic in the doors. I removed the door plastic and installed some 24 gauge sheet metal. was fairly easy. A little time consuming, but not terrible....

No intention to start arguments but depending on at what temperature you're intent to smoke I dont see reason to outright reject idea of using plastic interior fridge... I am in process of buolding smoker from fairly new fridge but with external smoke generator, it will be used as cold smoke charcuterie unit and temp inside fridge will never pass 40F...so, IMHO, plastic interior fridge can be used depending on internal smoking temperature and product you're aiming to produce.. In my case, fridge in good working order should perform very good with addition of external cold smoke generator, humidifier/dehumidifier external unit, smoke exhaust chimney and couple of small CPU fans..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky