First ever Tri Tip w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Yep you read that right. Have never found a tri tip around this area so I have never had the pleasure of tasting one. I have seen Robert( tx smoker tx smoker ) posting some incredible stuff over the past 12 months or so and a whole bunch of it includes CPB(certified piedmontese beef). After several discussions and some help and guidance from him I was finally able to try this stuff out! What better way to try it out than with a cut of beef I have never been able to do.

Started out with the CBP tri tip. Weighed a little over 2 pounds.
PD1.jpg

After a quick thaw.
PD2.jpg

Seasoned up. Little bit of worchestershire, CBP, garlic powder, and pink sea salt.
PD3.jpg

Didn't get any pictures of the actual cook. I put it in the smoker with char-hickory pellets until IT reached 110. Afterwards I heated my grill up to around 600 and tossed it on there to get a nice sear and to finish. Pulled the roast at 125 and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

After the rest...
PD4.jpg

Sliced her up.
PD5.jpg

Juices were just flowing out.
PD6.jpg

PD7.jpg

Side Caesar salad and plated with a half baked potato and some grilled garlic texas toast.
PD8.jpg

PD9.jpg

This was one of the most tender and flavorful cuts I have ever cooked or eaten. I went very light on the seasonings and the beef flavor really shined on this. Very light smoke and then a nice char on the outside. The CBP cooked quicker than normal beef so that was really the only adjustment that I had to make. Basically cut it with a fork was very surprised in the tenderness. I will def be trying this stuff out again in the future especially since I cant get tri tip's around here. Thanks for checking it out!

John

OH MY GOD!! Congrats on finally getting to cook a tri tip and congrats on a perfect cook. That looks absolutely amazing my friend. If ever I've seen you post a carousel worthy meal, this is it. That roast is nothing short of spectacular and the sides are the perfect accompaniment. Well done sir and a big LIKE!! That may have just taken the guess work out of what I'm wanting to cook for dinner this evening. That has me drooling :emoji_astonished:

Wow...just wow!!
Robert

TT is worth it, one of my favorite cuts ever...thanks to this forum I had never heard of it before. I do agree the TT seems to cook faster than other cuts. Great job with the sear.

Reactions: Will Squared
I do agree the TT seems to cook faster than other cuts.

It's not so much the tri tip in general that cooks faster. It's the Certified Piedmontese Beef. This is a far leaner and much more tender breed of beef. Due to it being leaner, it cooks faster than standard American beef, and it's across the entire line of cuts: roasts and steaks. I believe it's because the fat has a high moisture content thus it takes longer to get to temp. With the CPB having less fat, it just takes less time to cook.

Robert

That looks Fantastic, John!!!
Totally over the top!!
I've never seen any looking better, that's for sure!!
Nice Job.
Like.

Bear

Beautiful job on that tritip, looks cooked to perfection John, big Like! My whole life living in CA before moving here tritip was a staple that we'd make about once a week. Now that I'm in AZ I see the tri's in the display case at the market but I don't like the prices. I guess I'll just have to lump it and pay double what I'm used to, but I won't like paying it, it's the principle. RAY

What a beautiful hunk of meat, I could eat that all day long

Nice !!

Gary

John that looks to die for! Very nice job! It looks perfect!

I have a CPB TT in my freezer waiting for that first nice day of Spring. Why am I torturing myself knowing it’s in there waiting for the proper treatment.

I just licked my phone. Damn doesnt taste like TT. Here’s a quarter for the carousel.

Nice work Vol . I found one a few months ago , and had it for the first time . I agree one the flavor . It's fantastic .
Perfect cook on that for me .

That looks amazing! Meat cooked to perfection, the whole meal looks great. We also don't see TT around here, so never had one before either. Did do some checking and found that some CPB is raised in Nebraska our neighbors to the west, not sure if that's the only place or not.

Big like and great job!
Ryan

A good PBR would have paired well with that fine looking TT John. Nice job looks like you nailed it.

Point for sure
Chris

Now that is a great looking TT. I have issues cooking anything like this as my better half wont eat anything cooked medium rare and I refuse to cook it any other way. Oh well.
Do what I do, my daughter is the same way..nothing pink or red. I cook it the way we want and take several slices in a pan and saute in butter till well done. TT is now here favorite meal as well and we all get to eat the same meal.

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky