First Electric Baby Back Ribs with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lav25

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Got an MES-30 digital a couple of months ago and I am loving it. With my ECB, smoking used to be equal parts anticipation and dread, with eight hours of stressfully checking the temps every five minutes to make sure nothing was going wrong (in either direction), but electric... I know it's cheating, and I've got a real respect for the charcoal fired guys, but I live in a small apartment and smoke on my balcony.

Anyway, ordered some baby back ribs from The Meat Guy and used some basic rub I had leftover from another project. Cooked them 2-1-1 on a steady 250F with some bourbon in the foiling stage.

Rubbed and ready for wrapping overnight in the fridge:

rubbed%20ribs.jpg

Ready to go into the smoker the next day. The light blotches are some brown sugar clumps in the second coat of rub I put on:

ready%20ribs.jpg

Out of the smoker, four hours later:

cut%20ribs.jpg

Served with twice-baked smoked potatoes (description below) and cole slaw from KFC:

plated%20ribs.jpg

These were good. Not amazing, but pretty darn good. They weren't dry, but could have been more moist to my liking. Not falling off the bone, but coming off easily. I didn't use any water in the pan, just foiled it for easy cleanup, don't know if that would have helped or if I just need to take the time down a little, suggestions are welcome. The BBQ sauce I used was some store-bought "Kilauea Fire" stuff which I like, but I will need to learn to make my own in the near future.

6348660989_8bb35d174f_z.jpg

*Potatoes:

Two regular potatoes, washed, dried, poked with a fork, then coated with EVOO and The Meat Guy's Stake Spice, which is a combination rub/season salt-ish stuff of garlic, cayenne, paprika, and such. Put on the top rack of the smoker (ribs were one down) for an hour and a half of so, under smoke, at 250F. When the ribs were due for foiling, I pulled the potatoes, which were cooked but still a little stiff, so I chucked them in the microwave for four minutes. While that was going on, I fried up just a bit of bacon in very small pieces (bacon I made doesn't get crumbly for some reason). Shredded maybe a cup (end result) of sharp Irish Cheddar, diced up a tablespoon-full of regular pickled jalapenos, and a single, thin slice of red onion, diced fine. Reserved about half the cheese, and put all the rest together in a bowl along with the insides of the potatoes and a couple tablespoons of unsalted butter. Added some table salt and ground black pepper and used my electric mixer to make mashed potatoes, adding a little regular milk to loosen things up. Spooned the mixture back into the potato skins, put the rest of the cheese on top, and put the potatoes back into the smoker (no smoke) for the last hour or so of cook time the ribs had left. I'm sure there's room for improvement, but it came out well.

Thanks for looking!

I am extremely new to this and just got my MES 30 so can only go by what I have read but I don't think the lack of water in the bowl mattered. I would think lowering the temperature to 220/225 and going to a 6 hour process with 3-2 1 might be worth a try. Of course the (2)hour in the process is in foil and the final (1)hour is foil open or gone and BBQ added.

They sure do look tasty and the pictures are great.

Tom

Reactions: lav25
SmokinAl has a thread where he put a probe into ribs and smokes them to 198F. He repeatedly gets perfect ribs doing so.

I have done this as well and I like to take mine to about 200-203 which for me has been right on the verge of becoming fall of the bone tender.

With this approach you never have to wrap and you get consistent and repeatable results :)
The only trick is getting the probe in well enough but it hasn't been too hard. Anyhow, this is just some room for thought :)

L25, Good looking ribs and awesome taters. You could add some apple juice or other liquid to your foil next time if your ribs weren't moist enough. They look tasty!

As said above your ribs weren't cooked long enough.
If you have a good therm with a thin needle probe, taking the temp of the ribs is pretty easy.
For FOTB ribs your looking for an IT of 205.
BTW your ribs look fantastic!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

They look great as everyone said they needed to cook more,I see you are using an MES.Do you have other probes to check the meat and CC,or are you going by the MES controls? LIKE
Richie

Very nice! If I get the time tomorrow between setting up my new MES, preseasoning it, and smoking something, I may do the 2-1-1 method for ribs. Thanks for the great post!

Very nice! If I get the time tomorrow between setting up my new MES, preseasoning it, and smoking something, I may do the 2-1-1 method for ribs. Thanks for the great post!

Hi there and welcome!
Just a word of advice. The MES smoker temp probe and the meat probe are NOTORIOUS for being off. I would claim it is a 99% guarantee that they will give you incorrect readings. That is why all of us MES owners use a 2nd party Thermometer and probes. I like the Theromopro TP20, it is dual probe so you can use 1 probe to check the smoker temp at meat level and the other probe inside the meat.

Best of luck! :)

Your ribs look very good, for sure...a little more time will make them perfect. Agree with the others, an IT of 205F +/- is the goal.

I do like your bourbon idea and will definitely try that in the future!

Like Smoking Al - I just season my ribs, pop them in my MES40 at 225F (no water in pan) and cook them until they are around 205F. I will only wrap them if I want to hurry the process up.

Ribs look great, and you have gotten plenty advice on how to make them a bit more tender. I use apple cider (apple juice in summer when I can't get cider, with a bit of bourbon mixed in) I think straight bourbon probably steamed off too quick and might be part of your dry issue.

Taters sound great, I will definitely try them !

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, and my apologies for not realizing it; I don't seem to be getting the email notifications of responses. That's a problem for another time though.

L25, Good looking ribs and awesome taters. You could add some apple juice or other liquid to your foil next time if your ribs weren't moist enough. They look tasty!

Yup, I put some bourbon in the foiling stage. Put them meat-side down, but on further research the consensus seems to be meat side up is better, I'll try that next time.

As said above your ribs weren't cooked long enough.
If you have a good therm with a thin needle probe, taking the temp of the ribs is pretty easy.
For FOTB ribs your looking for an IT of 205.
BTW your ribs look fantastic!
Al

They look great as everyone said they needed to cook more,I see you are using an MES.Do you have other probes to check the meat and CC,or are you going by the MES controls? LIKE
Richie

Hi there and welcome!
Just a word of advice. The MES smoker temp probe and the meat probe are NOTORIOUS for being off. I would claim it is a 99% guarantee that they will give you incorrect readings. That is why all of us MES owners use a 2nd party Thermometer and probes. I like the Theromopro TP20, it is dual probe so you can use 1 probe to check the smoker temp at meat level and the other probe inside the meat.

Best of luck! :)

SmokinAl SmokinAl , tropics tropics , and tallbm tallbm I have, I think, an older generation of MES 30. No window, no probes, just the digital controls on the top. I have a Maverick...732? When I first got the MES, I used it to check the thermostat, and if anything, the smoker thinks it's running a bit cooler than the Maverick indicates, but not by much (and it's certainly more reliable than the ~100 degree swings I got with my old ECB :) )

Try baby backs 2-2-1 at 225. And see if that helps your cause.

I may give that a shot next time, these weren't a disaster, just could have been a little more moist than they were.

Carousel? That the pics up top? Must have missed it, but thanks for the congratulations anyway!

Sunday is lamb day, I've got a 1.6kg boneless shoulder defrosting that I'll be posting up once it's underway.

Thanks again everyone!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky