First build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Billie, morning... I like the vents and the whole smoker.... Looks like it will cook good....  Let us know how the heat control works while you have a fire in it.....   Break it in and throw something on it to smoke....   Better chain it down so it don't get "borrowed".....   If you have trouble with heat/smoke flow and control, the expanded metal at the end of the RF plate may be an obstruction.... just something to think about... depends on the area of the open spaces....    

Dave

Well it is 8 degrees out side and its holding at 200/220. Had to do a test run before paint. It didn't warp as much as I thought it was going to so that's good. 

Note to anybody that is going to put a drain on there smoker that lives in a cold climate put the ball valve as close to the cook chamber as possible. The grease froze before it got down to the bottom. Had to heat the pipe with a torch to get it to turn into a liquid again. 

Reactions: bbq city
Billie, well I guess you found a flaw at 8 deg....  If that's the only problem...   congrats....  engineering successful...   great job.....   Dave

Looks great!  Thanks for the note on the drip tube freeze/congeal - that's now permanently noted in me little brain. :)

Dave - that actually is something we have to deal with.  An overnight smoke that same night would have bottomed out around 20 degrees lower than 8, so it's def. something to keep in mind for us tundra dwellers 

popcorn.gif

You got some skills!  That cooker looks great!  I'm still waiting on a day off to smoke mine.  I like the idea of your big wheels on the FB end and a handle on the other.  I need to make that adjustment on mine when time permits.  Mobility matters when these things weigh what they do!  Post pics of your Q-view when you get the chance.

You got some skills!  That cooker looks great!  I'm still waiting on a day off to smoke mine.  I like the idea of your big wheels on the FB end and a handle on the other.  I need to make that adjustment on mine when time permits.  Mobility matters when these things weigh what they do!  Post pics of your Q-view when you get the chance.
Thank you. If your going to make a handle for yours I would put it on the legs mine is to high it's really hard to move around. What is a q-view?

Thank you. If your going to make a handle for yours I would put it on the legs mine is to high it's really hard to move around. What is a q-view?
It's just a pic of what food you're smokin that's all. I liked your handle location idea and got the handle I made and mounted it up to the legs. I'm not done with it yet because I ran outta time. I'll post a pic in my thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky