Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irvin78787884

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 17, 2023
Unionville PA
I am going to be picking up my tank hopefully this Saturday to start getting things around to build my first reverse flow smoker. The tank is a water tank that came off of a concrete truck. My measurements are only of the outside diameter at the moment. I am just doing this to see if my calculations are correct and on the right track. Once I get the tank and can do inside dimensions I will redo them. Any help from anyone is much appreciated and I will continue to update this with progress and pics once things start rolling.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

Thanks everyone

Looking forward to seeing the final product.
I have been wanting to build one for about 2 years now and it’s finally time to start doing instead of thinking. lol I can’t wait. Things will be a slow go cause of the PA winter weather at times but some progress is better than none.

Again my numbers will need tweaked once I get the actual inside diameter figured out once I get the tank in my possession. Does this look like I am heading in the right direction also with the above calculations for the FB/cc segmented area opening.

Attachments

• IMG_3827.png
    IMG_3827.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 135
I built mine (in signature below) using daveomak daveomak build calculator... Has been a lot of people used his calcultor for their build... Mine works awesome...

Reactions: irvin78787884
I built mine (in signature below) using daveomak daveomak build calculator... Has been a lot of people used his calcultor for their build... Mine works awesome...

Yeah I was using that also and posted a link to the close setup. I just wanted someone to check out my numbers on the calculators to be sure I was on the right track. I do need to get 100% final numbers once I have tank in my possession. Thanks

Howdy Irvin, and good luck with your build! I'll be following...

Another easy calculator (IMO - I used it on my current build project):

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy Irvin, and good luck with your build! I'll be following...

Another easy calculator (IMO - I used it on my current build project):

Red
Thanks I hope all works out on it. Really hoping the pa weather cooperates this evening and changes to rain so I can drive the 2+hrs to get the tank tomorrow. I don’t want to wait another week. lol

I realized my fire box wasnt big enough so i corrected it how do these numbers look now.
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

Good morning Irvin.

If I'm reading your calculations correctly, you have a FB that's about 105% of the recommended volume? That's a pretty good number. I've been told by more experienced pitmakers than myself that the "sweet spot" is between 100 and 107% for FB volume.

So it seems to me you're on the right track.

Red

Good morning Irvin.

If I'm reading your calculations correctly, you have a FB that's about 105% of the recommended volume? That's a pretty good number. I've been told by more experienced pitmakers than myself that the "sweet spot" is between 100 and 107% for FB volume.

So it seems to me you're on the right track.

Red
Sweet thanks atleast I have an idea of what to do then.

I’d like to see your rig. I’m into tractors too so I’m curious

Well after a 5hr round trip with some unplowed roads and snow squalls yesterday. It all ended with the tank making it home. Gonna do some tinkering with it as much as I can with high winds and cold temps today.

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 102
Excited to see this Build!

- Jason
I can’t wait to get into it. I am gonna have some questions and need my final numbers checked to make sure I am doing it correctly. Been read a ton on here. I think for most part I am in the ballpark on it. Just the PA weather is gonna slow me down right now. As I have no inside space to work so it’s all outside.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
More pics. Got it unloaded by myself with floor jack and built a wood frame with wheels on it to roll it around. Had that stuff laying around. It’s in the shed I moved stuff around in shed and the plow on sxs will have to come off to fit sxs back in. I think I will be able to make fair progress as long as it doesn’t get to cold out.

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky