Gravity Fed Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mehr

Original poster
Mar 8, 2024
Hey all - I'm working with a smoker builder (Smokey Smokerson, check his IG page out) and we are currently trying to decide on a color. We've found a heat resistant black that can withstand temps up to 1000 degrees (F).

I'd like to use a different color (army green) but the only one I see has a max temp limit of 420 degrees.

The smoker has 2" of Roxul insulation. That said, do you guys think the 420 degree paint would hold up well? I should mention I'm based in Toronto, Canada so it gets pretty cold. Hoping the paint will hold up against rust.

All opinions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance. I've attached some pics of the build.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308_212903_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_212903_Samsung Notes.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20240308_212816_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_212816_Chrome.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20240308_212708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240308_212708_Chrome.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: JLeonard
Hello Mehr, and welcome aboard!

That's gonna be a sweet build! I hope you'll post a build thread and let us follow along with your progress.

I don't have an opinion about the paint color - I've only used Rustoleum high-heat (1200*) black paint on my builds. Sounds like you already know that the challenge with paint color variety is finding one that holds up to high temperatures. You'd think there'd ample options out there for smoker paint, but I haven't found one myself.

This is a totally off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion...but you might try contacting one of the commercial pit builders and ask where they get their paint, and maybe even inquire if they'd be willing to sell you some. I own a Southern Q Limo Jr. gravity fed smoker, and I recall that when I ordered it a few years back, the owner told me they could get just about any custom color I could imagine.

Might be worth a shot...

Red

edit: Meant to say HIGH-heat paint - not heat-heat LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard and Mehr
Hello Mehr, and welcome aboard!

That's gonna be a sweet build! I hope you'll post a build thread and let us follow along with your progress.

I don't have an opinion about the paint color - I've only used Rustoleum high-heat (1200*) black paint on my builds. Sounds like you already know that the challenge with paint color variety is finding one that holds up to high temperatures. You'd think there'd ample options out there for smoker paint, but I haven't found one myself.

This is a totally off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion...but you might try contacting one of the commercial pit builders and ask where they get their paint, and maybe even inquire if they'd be willing to sell you some. I own a Southern Q Limo Jr. gravity fed smoker, and I recall that when I ordered it a few years back, the owner told me they could get just about any custom color I could imagine.

Might be worth a shot...

Red

edit: Meant to say HIGH-heat paint - not heat-heat LOL!
Hey Red! Thanks for the warm welcome and getting back to me so quickly.

With respect to your Southern Q, have you noticed any paint issues around the firebox?

Also now that you own the Southern Q, is there anything you would change or do differently if you have to get a new smoker?

Welcome to the forums! Hope you hang around and show off the new cooker when you get it.

Jim

Reactions: Mehr
Hey Red! Thanks for the warm welcome and getting back to me so quickly.

With respect to your Southern Q, have you noticed any paint issues around the firebox?

Also now that you own the Southern Q, is there anything you would change or do differently if you have to get a new smoker?

Good morning Mehr!

I think my pit is 5 years old now, and the paint still looks as good as the day it was delivered. No issues whatsoever around the FB. Since it's and insulated pit, most of the cook chamber stays cool enough you can put your hand on it without burning yourself, so the only place that gets really hot is the FB area.

I honestly cant think of much I'd change as far as design goes. I'm a big fan of GF smokers, and this one runs and cooks great. I suppose if someone held my feet to fire and made me come up with something, I might have had a side shelf of some kind mounted on it for holding a platter or pan while transferring meat to/from the cooker. Maybe something hinged, so it could be lowered out of the way when stored.

Red

Reactions: Mehr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky