Another shortfat, with CAD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

c0g

Original poster
Feb 1, 2024
Waiting for the plasma cutter to be back online, but I think I've hit a decent stopping point on the design. I hope I can get onto actually building it next week :D So far I've spent a good amount time at my computer and burning paint off the cylinder.

The design follows [@woodyg's](https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/short-fat-120-gallon-build.238321/) almost exactly. I got a good deal on 1/4 plate, so that's what we're doing. I don't think I have enough metal for a double layer firebox + insulation, but I live in California so it's probably maybe fine.

Firebox is 24.5 x 20 x 20, the slot into the cylinder is 6.5".

My plan is to attach weights using chain to the counter weights - it'll match my home made Santa Maria, and chains look metal. I've attached some pics of the design and the design is online here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7...renderMode=0&uiState=65fb6eeae6aae54c793bd178

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.57.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.57.06 PM.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 4.10.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 4.10.49 PM.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 20
Howdy and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

No dampers on the firebox but one on the smoke chamber?...not sure you need one on the smoker, but definitely need a couple on the firebox. JMO

No dampers on the firebox but one on the smoke chamber?...not sure you need one on the smoker, but definitely need a couple on the firebox. JMO
I don't think I have one on the smoke chamber, but yeah - I forgot them on the firebox, good catch.

Reactions: kevinwi
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky