Added pic My first reverse flow smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can't help ya on that one as I didn't put one on mine... But in reading others builds it did sound like there was a LOT of trial and error to get it right...
That’s kinda what I found also. 60 degrees will not work looks more like 35 when the door is open I am gonna get it kinda setup takes in and just put metal inside the tube till it either works or it’s full and go from there. 🤣🤣🤣 thanks tho.

Just tacked in atm no weight in it. I might change it since the last comment about keeping it shorter. Will see how this plays out first and let me examine it to see if I like it this way lol it 13” off the top of smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_4212.jpeg
    IMG_4212.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 14
There’s not much info on counterweight building for doors or atleast not anything set in stone so to speak. Does the square tube the comes off the door and holds the weight also need to be accounted for? My plan is a 60 degree angle and keep it so it runs inline with the widest part of CC. I want it to rests on the back of CC to hold door also. Any other pointers or directions ?????

Can't help ya on that one as I didn't put one on mine... But in reading others builds it did sound like there was a LOT of trial and error to get it right...

I'm like Keith - I haven't built a door counterweight - so I'm not much help. If there's a tried and true method or formula, I sure don't know what it is or where to find it. And I do agree with Keith that it seems that trial and error is common. If I were building one, I'd do just what you described, and see if it looks right. Tack it in place and see how it works. Maybe you'll get lucky and get it the way you want it the first try LOL. Or hopefully it'll only need tweaked a bit.

Red

I'm like Keith - I haven't built a door counterweight - so I'm not much help. If there's a tried and true method or formula, I sure don't know what it is or where to find it. And I do agree with Keith that it seems that trial and error is common. If I were building one, I'd do just what you described, and see if it looks right. Tack it in place and see how it works. Maybe you'll get lucky and get it the way you want it the first try LOL. Or hopefully it'll only need tweaked a bit.

Red
Thanks. I got one setup and tacked not sure if I like it yet or not might be a little tall gotta ponder on it. lol it’s 13” from top of smoker to the bottom of the 2x4 rectangle steel I am gonna use to put the weight in. I thought of the idea of the square tube behind the 2x4 as more of a welding and secure connection instead of beads of weld or gussets. Pics are above

First time builder calculating error I lost count. It’s 3/4” to tall from fitting out of my shed doors. Hard to see in the pic. I will have to remove the second section of the stack and prop to door to CC open for the counterweight to clear. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 all in the fun of building for sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky