First brisket a success

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markl

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 1, 2020
Minnesota
Got my first pellet smoker a few months ago a Pit Boss Rancher XL. Did ribs, chicken but even on the gas grill or oven, never tried a brisket. I watched like 30 videos and every post I could find here to gain insight.

Local meat shop had a 5.5lb brisket flat and decided that would be my first attempt rather than a larger full brisket. Night before I trimmed and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, ground peppercorns and a light touch of Cayan. Covered and placed in the fridge until morning.

5:30am, loaded the smoker with a mix of competition, hickory and cherry pellets, preheated and set the temp to Smoke. Added a water pan and placed the brisket fat cap up.

After an hour, bumped the temp to 225 and rechecked 2 hours later. Temp was 140 and gave it another hour. The scare happens here, IT was 179! What no stall? I decided at this point to wrap fearing I may have already cooked the juice out of it.
I was surprised that it cooked this quick at 225. The temp was 225, the hood dial gauge showed around 260. I connected the meat probe that came with grill and placed with a stand to check temp that way but it showed 310 deg, so not sure what to think about that. Maybe this probe has to be inserted to read correctly or I have a serious hot spot!

An hour later I was at 204 and the probe went in easily several places.
Pulled the prize and wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler. So now I'm running a good hour and a half early, so ended up with a 2 hour rest.

Finally get to slice! OMG, moist, tender, bends easily and pulled apart like soft bread.

So happy it turned out in the end and everyone enjoyed it. Thanks to all who post their knowledge to help us noobs out.

Attachments

• 20200906_085448.jpg
    20200906_085448.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200906_055955.jpg
    20200906_055955.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200906_152807.jpg
    20200906_152807.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200906_153038.jpg
    20200906_153038.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The smell of brisket addiction is in the air. Congratulations on your success. The brisket looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Markl
Looks great! Are you just using the Pit Boss probe for temp or an other thermometer? I have a couple year old Pit Boss 1000SC that is similar to the Rancher and there is a temp range even in the chamber. If you don't have a separate thermometer it is worth looking into. Inkbird has a great wifi thermometer for about $100.

congrats! Looks good to me. flats can be tricky. the full packer is actually a bit easier IMO.

Looks great! Are you just using the Pit Boss probe for temp or an other thermometer? I have a couple year old Pit Boss 1000SC that is similar to the Rancher and there is a temp range even in the chamber. If you don't have a separate thermometer it is worth looking into. Inkbird has a great wifi thermometer for about $100.
I was using the Pit Boss probe and a digital instant read thermometer that works well. I was looking at a few of the ones like Inkbird and Thermopro. I need to get a good pic of the temps within my smoker.

Might be in luck. I just noticed in the Meat Thermometer thread that Inkbird is offering 50% off their wifi four probe thermometer. Brings it down to about $50. Same one i got a few months ago, I am also thinking for that price about getting another one!

50% OFF Discount for Inkbird WiFi BBQ Thermometer with 4 probes-$50

Might be in luck. I just noticed in the Meat Thermometer thread that Inkbird is offering 50% off their wifi four probe thermometer. Brings it down to about $50. Same one i got a few months ago, I am also thinking for that price about getting another one!

Just replied to that post/thread to see if I could still get the code. Definitely a bargain and needed tool to get the temps right or known.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky