First Attempt At Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gary, I saw the carousel and said to myself: "Damn, now that's some text book bacon"

Looks delicious, I need to make some now!

Don't let any of those roughnecks get a wiff of that, you might be in trouble.

Great job!

Thanks John.
I don't need to let anyone know about the bacon. Out of the entire 1/2 belly, I only ended up with 1 1/2 pounds of bacon for myself--and we already ate 1 pound of it. Time to start another batch.
Gary

Reactions: nanuk
Hey Gary, It's been a busy go, I have been hearing it will pick up for most on Jan. 2019 supposedly will be busy. Election yr I guess.

Glad to hear you had a good summer, Charlie. Hopefully at election time we can get the "other guys" back in power. Then the patch should really pick up.
I'm heading up to Mayerthorpe in a week to start hauling logs for the winter.
Gary

Drive Safe Gary, Who knows what this winter will have in store for us if it is anything like this fall / summer was.

BTW, what's thermo-water??
Gary

I have done what BearCarver said to do to get an accurate measurement of a refer temp

take a bottle of water, and insert a thermo probe into the center of it, and it will tell you very accurately what the temp is at that location.
for want of a better word.... Thermometer in water contracted to "Thermo-Water"

Wow nice! You can't beat homemade bacon!
Once you want to try something a little different let me know and I'll tell you about "bacon cold cuts". Pretty much the same idea but you walk the IT of the bacon slabs up to 145F. You slice and then you can fry like regular bacon or eat right out of the package like a cold cut :D

Congratulations Gary! That looks simply exceptional to me. And the thickness of those slabs are incredible!

Holy Moly!
That looks wonderful, Gary!
Must be the fall weather, I'm getting all geared up for bacon here.
Including Vermont Maple Sugar.
I'm rolling the dice on convincing the wife I can be Makin Bacon.
I'll be starting out small. Just a couple of slabs, I think.
Unless I go crazy at the meat counter (I usually do...) :D

Gary, this is nice looking bacon! I am sure it tastes exactly how it looks. I just wondering: were you keeping 100F temp for 11 hours, until you finished smoking?

Thanks pushok, and thanks for the Point.
Sorry I took so long to answer your question--just realized that my reply to you didn't post.
Yep, I just set my PID at 100F and left the temp there throughout the entire smoke.
Gary

Wow nice! You can't beat homemade bacon!
Once you want to try something a little different let me know and I'll tell you about "bacon cold cuts". Pretty much the same idea but you walk the IT of the bacon slabs up to 145F. You slice and then you can fry like regular bacon or eat right out of the package like a cold cut :D

Thanks tallbm, and thanks for the Point.
My next batch of bacon is going to be half regular and half Black Forest Bacon. After that I'll give you a shout and we can talk about bacon cold cuts.
Gary

Congratulations Gary! That looks simply exceptional to me. And the thickness of those slabs are incredible!

Thanks BrownEV, and thanks for the Point.
As soon as I saw those bellies after they came back from the butcher, I knew exactly what their future involved.
Gary

Holy Moly!
That looks wonderful, Gary!
Must be the fall weather, I'm getting all geared up for bacon here.
Including Vermont Maple Sugar.
I'm rolling the dice on convincing the wife I can be Makin Bacon.
I'll be starting out small. Just a couple of slabs, I think.
Unless I go crazy at the meat counter (I usually do...) :D

Thanks Sonny. It tastes just great.
Tell your wife that if I can make great bacon, so can you. I just followed Bearcarver's Step by Step (except I cold smoked mine). If you follow that, then you can add any flavor to it you want.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky