cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
I have been using pops brine for a couple years now for bacon,ham, venison ham, and it always comes out great but I've never tried a dry cure, I'm looking for a good proven dry cure for some buck board bacon.anyone have a favorite dry cure. Thanks

Im a convert. I used to use pops brine with much success. The diggingdogfarm method posted above is excellent, but found measuring and weighing and calculating every piece of meat and ingredients was tedious. The tenderquick method buzzy posted that Bear uses is by far much more simple. However... tenderquick also has nitrate in it that is not needed or desirable for bacon. Morton does not recommend it for use in bacon. The USDA does not allow the use of nitrate in commercially produced bacon. There is a tenderquick substitute you can make that does not have nitrate in it, and can be used at the same 1T per lb of meat. (also by diggingdogfarm).

17.5 oz salt (I use pickling salt)
5.0 oz sugar
2 oz cure #1

It's super easy to use...…
For dry curing....use one tablespoon (1/2 oz.) per pound of meat.
For curing ground meats such as sausage....use 1/2 tablespoon (1/4 oz.) per pound of meat...it provides ALL the cure and the salt for the recipe.....no additional salt is needed.

I add 1-2 additional Tablespoons of brown sugar for every Tablespoon of tenderquick substitute for bacon, ham, Canadian bacon, buckboard bacon etc. Mix together and coat the meat and place in a ziplock bag flipping daily.

Simple, safe, takes up less space, and OH SO DELICIOUS!

There is a tenderquick substitute you can make that does not have nitrate in it, and can be used at the same 1T per lb of meat. (also by diggingdogfarm).

17.5 oz salt (I use pickling salt)
5.0 oz sugar
2 oz cure #1

It's super easy to use...…
For dry curing....use one tablespoon (1/2 oz.) per pound of meat.
For curing ground meats such as sausage....use 1/2 tablespoon (1/4 oz.) per pound of meat...it provides ALL the cure and the salt for the recipe.....no additional salt is needed.

I add 1-2 additional Tablespoons of brown sugar for every Tablespoon of tenderquick substitute for bacon, ham, Canadian bacon, buckboard bacon etc. Mix together and coat the meat and place in a ziplock bag flipping daily.

Simple, safe, takes up less space, and OH SO DELICIOUS!

I'm confused.. isn't there the possibility of not getting enough cure in one of those Tablespoons full though ?

I'm confused.. isn't there the possibility of not getting enough cure in one of those Tablespoons full though ?

No. When mixed together as described, it is distributed quite well. Even if it was off by quite a bit, it will still fall within the recommended range of allowance. Tenderquick has been around a long time and very successful that way. So many other variables... fat/meat ratio, with or without skin, bone-in or boneless, etc. Still far more accurate than commercially pumped bacon.

Right, That's why I would never hand mix a TQ copy. You can't keep it mixed properly.

Tender Quick is processed so it stays mixed forever. I can take the first TBS out of the bag, and 2 years later the last TBS from the Bag (#64 TBS) will have the same amount of Salt, Sugar, and cure in it.

When you mix Salt, Sugar, and Cure by hand, you will never get it mixed perfectly even throughout a 25.5 ounce mixture.

Bear

Reactions: MeatSkull
Yes the potential is there to get too little or too much if not mixed thoroughly. I am a firm believer in making the cure to match the meat instead of using bulks made cure to match the meat. It just more accurate.

While I am not scared of nitrate/nitrite when used properly. If a recipe calculates out to need 6.73g of cure I don't want 6.72g or 6.74g.
I'm pretty darn exacting with cure amounts as well. Fortunately I know actually giving my self nitrite toxicity or what ever it would be called would be hard to do, but I still strictly follow the amounts. It's these guys I read of who decide 'and then I dump in pink salt 1 to be safe' or 'well I don't know, I used saltpeter' or some thing that make me worry.

I believe this calculator is in need of some correction. Type in a 100g for the meat and adjust the salt to 3% and it caculates the amount of salt needed is 2.77g??

No, it's correct. Recall that Cure #1 is MOSTLY salt.

Right, That's why I would never hand mix a TQ copy. You can't keep it mixed properly.

Tender Quick is processed so it stays mixed forever. I can take the first TBS out of the bag, and 2 years later the last TBS from the Bag (#64 TBS) will have the same amount of Salt, Sugar, and cure in it.

When you mix Salt, Sugar, and Cure by hand, you will never get it mixed perfectly even throughout a 25.5 ounce mixture.

Bear
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Bear. No doubt, using the EXACT cure calculator is of course the most accurate way for a dry brine. But you will have a hard time convincing me a "hand mix" tenderquick substitute will be any less effective- god forbid "Dangerous" than Morton makes it.

Remember The maximum 200 ppm input to the total raw formulation weight (before cooking, smoking, etc.) except bacon. For bacon, the maximum level of use for nitrite is 120 ppm input to the total raw formulation weight. Also, since the skin retains practically no cure agent, the maximum nitrite limits are supposed to be reduced by 10%. (By the way.. don't forget to change the calculator from the default of 156.)Anyway, These are MAXIMUMS!!! Does a dry cure HAVE to be calculated at the maximum ppm to be effective?- NO.

Even IF a "hand mix" substitute is not mixed properly and is of by say.. 10% or even 20% (which it wont), it is still going to do the job and not be "dangerous" There is no such thing as Partially-cured. It either is- or it isn't cured. As I said it will still be more accurate than commercially pumped bacon.

smokerjim,As confusing as all this might be,I have to point out the following statement is false.
So the "dry cure" is the following in red. It doesn't get simpler and it doesn't change

Salt 3%
Sugar 0.5%
Cure #1 - 0.25%

Spices and their quantities are up to are up to you and your palate.

The salt and sugar can be adjusted to your tastes.
I suggest using Martins (diggingdogfarm) tried and true calculator also.

1/4 tsp #1 or #2 per pound of meat depending on short or long curing, add whatever you want after that. Don't try to be a scientist and measure granules, just dumb.

Like a lot of USDA guidlines, recommended cure amounts are designed to be effective and safe. Even though 200ppm is the recommend max, 201 or even 250ppm is not toxic. For 5 pounds of sausage, 2268g you use 5.66g of Cure #1(156ppm). A toxic amount of cure #1 is 16g in 5 pounds, about 3X more than recommended. AND THAT HAS TO BE EATEN RAW AND ALL AT ONCE, as cure dissipates when heated. So, debating teaspoons over grams or make your own cure mix vs use a commercially prepared mix is pointless. The amounts you would have to add to the meat and the quantity of raw product you would have to eat makes it EXTREMELY diffificult to kill yourself.

I, in no way advocate adding random amounts of Cure. Follow guidelines set by the USDA and recipes posted by members of SMF. But there is no need to argue over another members preferred means of measuring safe amounts...

Just some info...Commercially pumped anything, bacon, ham, corned beef, has to have an approved cure percentage, typically 120 to 200 ppm. There are exceptions based on approved and tested use of other additives or curing procedures.
Not only is the packer responsible for sample testing and data keeping, but USDA Inspectors will verify packers cure mixes are within spec and review test data. You won't find more accuracy than that in commercially cured meat or by any home enthusiast...JJ

Reactions: Big Buster
Thanks to everyone, it's very interesting to see how everyone does things a little different but basically comes out with the same results, delicious home smoked meats, I'll probably be starting to cure this weekend ,I will let everyone know how I make out. Thanks again to everyone and as always more comments are always welcome, I love reading everyone's post and keep learning, this dry curing is all new to me.

Ham was mentioned , is not #2 involved?

No Sir. Cure #2 is used for long Dry Curing. This is done at a controlled temp, 50 to 60°F (in The Danger Zone) and high humidity, 65 to 80%. A very comfortable environment for bacterial growth. In fact, we are Counting on good bacteria and mold growth to inhibit bad bacteria growth and to convert the Nitrate in Cure #2 to Nitrite, over time, months, to kill the really nasty Clostridium Botulinum and keep Fat in the meat from turning rancid.
Cure #1 is short acting, weeks to a month or two, and it's job, containing only Nitrite, is exclusively for killing CB and inhibiting fat rancidity.
Since Dry Curing and using Cure #2 require very specific conditions, it's use is not for beginners trying to grasp the very basics of using Cure #1 and the reason for JD's comment that Cure #2 can add to confusion...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky