First Attempt At Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic looking bacon Gary!
Your hooked now!
No more store bought bacon for you!
That meal is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Thanks Al, and thanks for the Point. I'll never buy bacon again!!
And the carousel? Wow, I've never had a ride on the carousel before. That's a real honour (Canadian spelling :mad:)
Gary

Awesome looking bacon there guy in fact I like the whole meal. Bear has already said what I was thinking the long stay in the fridge may have been your salty problem.

Warren

Thanks Warren, and thanks for the Point.
Until John mentioned the longer stay in cure, that fact never crossed my mind. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.
Gary

Thanks John, and thanks for the Point.
Good thinking about the extra time in cure making it saltier than normal. Apparently I need a refresher course in basic math so I can tell how many halfs there are in 3" LOL
Gary

Actually you figured right for the "Absolute Minimum" time, but I never use that.
That is the time for the way I learned, but if you read on you can see that I add 2 or 3 more days to that amount.
So instead of 3 inches X 2 = 6 days + 2 days = 8 days. (This is what you did)
My calculations would be 3 inches X 2 = 6 days + 2 days = 8 days + an extra 2 or 3 days I put on for safety---Equals 10 or 11 total days in cure.
I decide on adding 2 or 3, by which day is the most convenient to my schedule.

I hope this makes sense---It's a lot more Simple than it sounds.

Bear

That is some beautiful looking bacon Gary. Great job. Points...
Congrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks Charlie, and thanks for the Point.
It's my first ride on the carousel and I'm just tickled pink about it.
Haven't talked to you for a while. Been keeping busy all summer? How's your winter looking with the patch talking about cutting production way back because of the surplus of oil in Alberta?
Gary

Gary, that bacon looks phenomenal my friend! Very nice job! That final shot, I could take a plate like that any time!

Actually you figured right for the "Absolute Minimum" time, but I never use that.
That is the time for the way I learned, but if you read on you can see that I add 2 or 3 more days to that amount.
So instead of 3 inches X 2 = 6 days + 2 days = 8 days. (This is what you did)
My calculations would be 3 inches X 2 = 6 days + 2 days = 8 days + an extra 2 or 3 days I put on for safety---Equals 10 or 11 total days in cure.
I decide on adding 2 or 3, by which day is the most convenient to my schedule.

I hope this makes sense---It's a lot more Simple than it sounds.

Bear

Thanks John. I must have missed that part, but I'll remember it for the next time.
Gary

I could smell bacon while I read this. Awesome job Gary on the write up and the pics. That bacon is beautiful.

First Attempt At Bacon
20181101_174320-jpg.379584

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Are you KIDDING me????

Thanks for SHARING!

That is the PERFECT picture.... (permission to use it as a background on my Desktop at work?)

ETA:
When I brined my first try at back bacon, I had more than would fit in my brine buckets.... So I ZIPLOCKED them in large bags, using the `squeeze` method to remove ALL the air, then I turned the bags twice a day for 3 days, then once a day for the rest of the cure time.... Kept them in the bottom of the refer when my bottle of thermo-water said it was 35 degrees.
Worked PERFECT.

Last edited:
Gary, I saw the carousel and said to myself: "Damn, now that's some text book bacon"

Looks delicious, I need to make some now!

Don't let any of those roughnecks get a wiff of that, you might be in trouble.

Great job!

Hey Gary, It's been a busy go, I have been hearing it will pick up for most on Jan. 2019 supposedly will be busy. Election yr I guess.

Are you KIDDING me????

Thanks for SHARING!

That is the PERFECT picture.... (permission to use it as a background on my Desktop at work?)

ETA:
When I brined my first try at back bacon, I had more than would fit in my brine buckets.... So I ZIPLOCKED them in large bags, using the `squeeze` method to remove ALL the air, then I turned the bags twice a day for 3 days, then once a day for the rest of the cure time.... Kept them in the bottom of the refer when my bottle of thermo-water said it was 35 degrees.
Worked PERFECT.

Thanks nanuk. I'd love to have it used as a background.
BTW, what's thermo-water?? That's a new one on me.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky