Fine Kosher salt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gearloose

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Southeast corner of Kansas
I just bought a 13 oz box of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt just so I would not need to try to convert volume measurement from the 3 Tbsp per 5 lb. the original recipe calls for.  Lo & behold, after opening the box, I discover it looks like regular table salt or canning salt.  So, other than Kosher certification, it's no different than non-iodized table salt and is going to measure the same. I'm going to be messing with volume conversions anyway.
icon_confused.gif

So, 10 lb. batch of meat.  Recipe calls for 6 Tbsp of (coarse) Kosher salt.  I'm guesstimating 4.5-5 Tbsp of this fine texture stuff.  Anyone care to tell me what 6 Tbsp. of Kosher salt weighs?  I'll just weigh the salt in my recipe?  Thanks!

Jim B.

I just bought a 13 oz box of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt just so I would not need to try to convert volume measurement from the 3 Tbsp per 5 lb. the original recipe calls for.  Lo & behold, after opening the box, I discover it looks like regular table salt or canning salt.  So, other than Kosher certification, it's no different than non-iodized table salt and is going to measure the same. I'm going to be messing with volume conversions anyway.
icon_confused.gif

So, 10 lb. batch of meat.  Recipe calls for 6 Tbsp of (coarse) Kosher salt.  I'm guesstimating 4.5-5 Tbsp of this fine texture stuff.  Anyone care to tell me what 6 Tbsp. of Kosher salt weighs?  I'll just weigh the salt in my recipe?  Thanks!

Jim B.
Jim,

You've probably been using Morton's Kosher salt in the past, which seems to be the most widely available brand on the market. Personally, I have used Diamond Crystal Kosher almost exclusively for many years. Quite some time ago, I had to use Morton's on a time tested recipe and was blown away by the difference in the salt content and taste. After doing a little research, I did a volume/weight test using a number of different types we had in the pantry using Diamond Crystal as the base standard. The table below will give you a breakdown of the results and should act as a guide in your conversion for your current recipe and any others in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the chart.  I did a comparison weigh on my digital scale and got similar results with the three salts I have on hand to try.

Generic iodized table salt 75.5 gr per 1/4 cup

Morton Canning & Pickling - 75.0 gr per 1/4 cup

Diamond Crystal Kosher - 46.5 gr per 1/4 cup

So, If I use 6 Tbsp Diamond Crystal Kosher in place of 6 Tbsp of Mortons Kosher, I'll end up with less salt.  That's probably a good thing as I'm supposed to watch my salt intake.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you for the info. I figured Kosher salt would be the same no matter who's brand. That explains why some recipes end up being so much saltier than expected. I need to change brands.

Great info.

Craig

Kosher salt is just that...non-iodized salt. What makes it different than say canning salt i (as far as i know and without betting my house on it) is the crystal size. I understand is best for "koshering" meat - will suck the blood out with minimum penetration into the meat.

Also - kosher salt is more expensive as it has to undergo kashrut certification.

Any non-iodized works fine instead in most situations.

Always measure salt by weight. Salts have different densities and a spoon of one could be significantly more or less salty than another.
Table salts whether iodized or not have anti caking agents in them. In curing you would prefer not to have these in your sAlt .
Kosher and pickling salts are your best bet for sausages and ham cures etc.
Weigh salt , it's the best way to go.

Always measure salt by weight. Salts have different densities and a spoon of one could be significantly more or less salty than another.
Table salts whether iodized or not have anti caking agents in them. In curing you would prefer not to have these in your sAlt .
I remember my training from culinary school.  Cooks measure, but bakers weigh everything - even eggs & water.  It's the only way to get repeatable results.  My baking class chef Instructor summed it up:  Cooks use recipes but bakers use formulas.

Having said that, it's hard to weigh salt when the recipe you are following uses volume measurements.  In my example above, the recipe specifies 6 tablespoons of Kosher salt.  A tablespoon of coarse Morton's table salt does not weigh the same as a tablespoon of fine Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.  The recipe gives no hint as to which brand was used in the original recipe.

I remember my training from culinary school.  Cooks measure, but bakers weigh everything - even eggs & water.  It's the only way to get repeatable results.  My baking class chef Instructor summed it up:  Cooks use recipes but bakers use formulas.

Having said that, it's hard to weigh salt when the recipe you are following uses volume measurements.  In my example above, the recipe specifies 6 tablespoons of Kosher salt.  A tablespoon of coarse Morton's table salt does not weigh the same as a tablespoon of fine Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.  The recipe gives no hint as to which brand was used in the original recipe.
Hard to trust a recipe that doesn't give weights of salt! Always start with 50% and do a taste test if volume measurements are given...

Hard to trust a recipe that doesn't give weights of salt! Always start with 50% and do a taste test if volume measurements are given...
Well, I have Diamond Crystal, which is a fine grind Kosher which is much less dense than Morton Kosher.  I prefer less salt anyway, so used 6 Tbsp. of Diamond Crystal.   I just fried and tasted a test patty and the salt level is just about perfect for me.  Any more salt would be too much salt. 

On a side note, dropping the pepper flakes & Cayenne amounts to 25% less than the original recipe was just about right for me & SWMBO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brud View Post

I remember my training from culinary school. Cooks measure, but bakers weigh everything - even eggs & water. It's the only way to get repeatable results. My baking class chef Instructor summed it up: Cooks use recipes but bakers use formulas.

Having said that, it's hard to weigh salt when the recipe you are following uses volume measurements. In my example above, the recipe specifies 6 tablespoons of Kosher salt. A tablespoon of coarse Morton's table salt does not weigh the same as a tablespoon of fine Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. The recipe gives no hint as to which brand was used in the original recipe.

Thanks for the criticism gearloose.
I feel the information I provided is very accurate and helpful
Reguardless of what your culinary knowledge is.
Is weighing salt not a measurement?
I thought it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brud View Post

I remember my training from culinary school. Cooks measure, but bakers weigh everything - even eggs & water. It's the only way to get repeatable results. My baking class chef Instructor summed it up: Cooks use recipes but bakers use formulas.

Having said that, it's hard to weigh salt when the recipe you are following uses volume measurements. In my example above, the recipe specifies 6 tablespoons of Kosher salt. A tablespoon of coarse Morton's table salt does not weigh the same as a tablespoon of fine Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. The recipe gives no hint as to which brand was used in the original recipe.

Thanks for the criticism gearloose.
I feel the information I provided is very accurate and helpful
Reguardless of what your culinary knowledge is.
Is weighing salt not a measurement?
I thought it was.
Absolutely no criticism intended.  I apologize if you found my reply offensive.  It was certainly not intended.  I did not make myself clear.  When I said cooks measure, I meant volume measure - cups, tablespoons. etc.  Of course weighing is a measurement, and is the most accurate way to do it.  That was my instructor's point.  We agree completely there.  My problem was that I did not, at the time of my original post, have an equivalent weight for a tablespoon of Morton's Kosher salt, so was stuck with using a volume measurement for a salt that was a different density, compounded by not knowing which brand of Kosher salt the original recipe used.  It all worked out though. 

I read it wrong , thanks for the explanation. I'm going to check the brisket in pastrami cure and will be busy smoking it very soon. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Reactions: gearloose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky