Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m not a real bourbon fan generally.
Same here. The scotch I buy is so complex and satisfying. I'd love to "buy American" but find most bourbons either too sweet or one dimensional. Ryes are better for my taste, but don't knock my socks off.

That said, the one good thing coming out of the craft whiskey boom is people getting away from the new oak barrels and 51% corn mandates for bourbon. "American Whiskey" is starting to reuse wine, bourbon, and brandy barrels like the Scots have done for a long time. They are even importing peated malt.

I've got Colorado-based Stanahan's single malt on my wish list. I first saw it in a Morgan Freeman movie that was practically a commercial for Stranahan's. (Gotta look that movie up. I think I own it). I've yet to pick up a bottle. Another one to look forward to.

(Movie referenced above: "The Magic of Belle Isle." And yep, going in the player as I type).

Last edited:
Not a real Scotch drinker myself, although I've never had an Oban I didn't like. I just think the pleasure per dollar is hard to beat with bourbon. A lot of these pics shown in the thread show bourbons I love and many I don't so this is pretty clearly a bit subjective...
Wild Turkey is great from their 101 on up. I've always felt that every extra dollar spent on one of their upscale products was that much better tasting but nothing wrong with base 101. Can't say that about others.
Old Forrester never disappoints. Can't say the entry 86 is a great value, but they have lots to choose from, just never know what's going to turn up at your local store.
Buffalo Trace and its relatives are good too. I prefer wheat over rye as the 2nd ingredient in the mash bill so BT fills the bill, although they have a green label rye now too I've no real desire to try.
Love the better Jim Beams, with Bookers being my old favorite, but its price is now far above the $50 limit that I and the original poster find reasonable.
For great value, I've gotten pretty excited lately about Ezra Brooks. Speaking of cheap, I used to always have Old Crow around to keep my oak barrel full, but I'm having trouble finding it lately. Any other Crow lovers finding the same?

Reactions: noboundaries
Old crow (owned by Jim Beam ) uses the same recipe for the most part, they just don’t age it for very long.
I bet with the proper barrel and patience (which I lack) you could get a very similar taste to Jim Beam out of it.

Last edited:
* Kentucky law (if my memory serves me correctly) says that to be bourbon it has to age 2 years minimum (old crow) where Jim ages for 4 years.
The yeast is still reused and grown from the original strain 200+ years ago!
Why can I remember that but not which month I was married in 22 years ago?

I'm on my third viewing in two days of "The Magic of Belle Isle." If you've never seen it, it is a slower-paced, character-driven picture with a lot of dry humor, subtle one-liners, and whiskey. The movie is as relaxing and satisfying as a great drink that leaves you feeling good. I own it, but I believe it can be streamed free on XUMO. Available for rent or purchase on Prime.

Great date night movie, BTW. Morgan Freeman adds a nice balance for the guys.

LOVE the La Santa. Great Highland scotch.

I've never bought a rum cask finish. Will be interesting to get your take on it.
The Glenlivet Caribbean cask is a NAS Scotch but it is decent for the price. The Balvenie Caribbean cask is excellent ! I am a Highland/Speyside scotch lover , not so much the Islay brands.

The Glenlivet Caribbean cask is a NAS Scotch but it is decent for the price. The Balvenie Caribbean cask is excellent ! I am a Highland/Speyside scotch lover , not so much the Islay brands.
All good to know. I started with Highland scotches. Progressed to Speysides, and finally tried one Islay. Been hooked on peaty smoke ever since. Islays definitely have that "love it or hate it" reputation.

I'm not a big fan of blends, except my own.

Reactions: crazymoon
While I'm waiting for an answer, I'll have a dram of the Ardbeg Uigaedail I received for Father's Day. 54.2% ABV. It is a NAS Islay scotch.

Neat. Small sips. And wow, so complex and long lasting.
Yes that is a fine Scotch!
I have an open bottle at home.

The only scotch in my mobile bar is Glenfiddich 12.
I am currently chilling it in the hotel.
It gets pretty damn warm in the truck.

Cheers!

8F2F55B7-0B66-42B6-AFB5-3EE38B00FA5C.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky