Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did somebody say 190? Lets go back in the way back when I was young. We use to get 3 gal fruit punch/hawaiian punch, 1 gal of orange and a 1/2 gal of pineapple juice, along with a large can of fruit cocktail. Mix a 1/2 gal of eveclear 190, a fifth of 151 rum, and a pint of vodka. Soak fruit overnight in mix. Next mornin mix all ingredients with one bag of ice in cooler. Then head to whatever sight you wanted to have a party at. LoL
Tip: soak the can of fruit cocktail in the PGA for 24h beforehand. It really soaks up the alcohol nicely and when it all gets mixed together, folks will be fighting for those fruit chunks.
Same with fruitcakes...soak the fruit before adding to the mix. (Not too long or the green and red become brown...I know.) After baking, you might prefer to soak the cake with rum for flavor. But the pga really brings those dried cherries alive.
Most liqueurs (anise, fruits, etc) improve when you fortify them to 100 proof or so. And you can then keep them in the freezer. Very nice after-dinner drink.
A bottle of vodka or gin lasts me decades. Everclear is the only clear liquor I use much of. But I do like bourbon.

Did somebody say 190? Lets go back in the way back when I was young. We use to get 3 gal fruit punch/hawaiian punch, 1 gal of orange and a 1/2 gal of pineapple juice, along with a large can of fruit cocktail. Mix a 1/2 gal of eveclear 190, a fifth of 151 rum, and a pint of vodka. Soak fruit overnight in mix. Next mornin mix all ingredients with one bag of ice in cooler. Then head to whatever sight you wanted to have a party at. LoL
In the PNW, we called that a Spodie, or Spodie-Odie.

Reactions: BBQ Bird
In the PNW, we called that a Spodie, or Spodie-Odie.
Spodie-odies here was beer mixed with a cheap wine. Beer was either Old English 800 or Country club 900 mixed 1-1 with either Boones Farm or Wild Irish Rose. You was forbidden to use Mad Dog (Mohegan David) to make it with!

Reactions: crazymoon
This thread started 13 months ago. Islay scotch prices have continued to climb. Consequently, I've been on the hunt for a second bourbon I'd enjoy that doesn't break the bank and was readily available. After countless YouTube hours, I had it narrowed down to Old Forester 100 and Wild Turkey 101, planning to pick one of those up the next time I went to Total Wine. The OF was like $26; the WT $22.

I was picking up a few groceries and game snacks at Trader Joe's today and they had WT 101 for $19.99. One jumped into my basket and started purring! Heck, I didn't know turkeys purred.

Took a sip when I got home. Yep. It's a keeper. A little sweeter than I like, but nice complexity, lasting finish, and reminds me of my favorite dessert, creme brulee. Who knew you could love a turkey?

Be kind and safe.

Ray

This thread started 13 months ago. Islay scotch prices have continued to climb. Consequently, I've been on the hunt for a second bourbon I'd enjoy that doesn't break the bank and was readily available. After countless YouTube hours, I had it narrowed down to Old Forester 100 and Wild Turkey 101, planning to pick one of those up the next time I went to Total Wine. The OF was like $26; the WT $22.

I was picking up a few groceries and game snacks at Trader Joe's today and they had WT 101 for $19.99. One jumped into my basket and started purring! Heck, I didn't know turkeys purred.

Took a sip when I got home. Yep. It's a keeper. A little sweeter than I like, but nice complexity, lasting finish, and reminds me of my favorite dessert, creme brulee. Who knew you could love a turkey?

Be kind and safe.

Ray
I'm actually a big fan of wild turkey. The wild turkey honey is delicious as well

Reactions: noboundaries
Pour a bottle of Woodford Reserve in a CI pan and smoke it in a pellet pooper for a while. Add some Coke-Cola and some ice. Bliss!

I started watching a YouTube channel several months ago in which a guy and his son sample bourbon and other whiskies and offer insights and tasting notes. I find it quite informative and entertaining. After watching this channel awhile, I've become partial to Old Forester bourbon and rye, and Pikesville rye (sometimes hard to find).

I'd post a link, but I've read somewhere that posting links is not appreciated here with a few exceptions. I suspect this channel would be easy to find if you did a google search though.

I started watching a YouTube channel several months ago in which a guy and his son sample bourbon and other whiskies and offer insights and tasting notes. I find it quite informative and entertaining. After watching this channel awhile, I've become partial to Old Forester bourbon and rye, and Pikesville rye (sometimes hard to find).

I'd post a link, but I've read somewhere that posting links is not appreciated here with a few exceptions. I suspect this channel would be easy to find if you did a google search though.
Posting links is allowed if it's directly related to the thread. It's just bbq sites that are a little frowned upon as they are in direct competition with Jeff

Man, I don't know how I missed this thread first time around - thanks to Ray for bumping it back!

There are always one or more of the following bottles in my cabinet: Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams BIB, WT Rare Breed, Knob Creed 9yo (which I'm sipping at this very moment!), Buffalo Trace. I like to drink the best I can afford, within reason...so always looking for great whiskeys that are budget friendly.

Red

I've watched a lot of those guys' videos. Agree with you that they're pretty entertaining and informative. I appreciate that they try to review a lot of high quality and affordable whiskeys.

Red
Yes, I agree. I see that many of their favorites are on your list. I have to admit that I really didn't know how to enjoy sipping whiskey until I watched these guys awhile. I'm not quite good enough yet to pick up all the tasting notes they describe. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing! :emoji_sunglasses:

This thread started 13 months ago. Islay scotch prices have continued to climb. Consequently, I've been on the hunt for a second bourbon I'd enjoy that doesn't break the bank and was readily available. After countless YouTube hours, I had it narrowed down to Old Forester 100 and Wild Turkey 101, planning to pick one of those up the next time I went to Total Wine. The OF was like $26; the WT $22. I was picking up a few groceries and game snacks at Trader Joe's today and they had WT 101 for $19.99. One jumped into my basket and started purring! Heck, I didn't know turkeys purred. Took a sip when I got home. Yep. It's a keeper. A little sweeter than I like, but nice complexity, lasting finish, and reminds me of my favorite dessert, creme brulee. Who knew you could love a turkey? Be kind and safe. Ray
I was a single malt scotch guy until a few years back when The Donald raised the tariffs
I had a post earlier in this thread of some Speyside bottles finished in wine barrels, 21 &
DSCN0033.JPG
23 years old, way too spendy these days. Went back to my bourbon roots a few years back. This hooch is finished in a wine barrel, I have whisky's that cost five times the price of this. If you like Glenlivet, Belviene, or Glenfiddich finished in a wine barrel seek a bottle of this out, exceptionally smooth with a wonderful finish. Not cheap I don't think, got two bottles as a gift, best American whisky I have ever tasted. RAY

Attachments

• DSCN0033.JPG
    DSCN0033.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky