Fatties, Part two the bacon weave.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
I like the bacon weave as it serves two functions. First it looks good when finished, and second it helps prevent fattie blowouts. Here's how I do mine.

First you'll need about pound of bacon. Try to get some that is fairly straight. Thin sliced works better then regular. Unfortunatly I could only find the regular slice.
DSC00601.JPG

Just as with the fattie. Lay a piece of plastic wrap down on the counter then top with a piece of parchment paper. After put a piece of bacon down top to bottom to give you a guide of how big your weave is going to be. Next lay down pieces perpendicular to the first slice.
DSC00602.JPG

Fold back every other piece and place the first piece at the top.
DSC00603.JPG

Then fold back the pieces that were under the first piece in the opposite dircection.
DSC00604.JPG

Put another slice of bacon down at the fold, and pull the folded bacon back over.
DSC00605.JPG

Repeat until the weave is complete.

DSC00607.JPG

With the weave complete get your fattie out of the fridge.
DSC00608.JPG

...and set it on the end of the weave.
DSC00609.JPG

Once again start rolling up the parchment paper - a quarter of a turn at a time.
DSC00610.JPG

You should end up with something similar to this.
DSC00611.JPG

Take the plastic wrap and cover the fattie, twist the ends and give it a couple of spins to tighten. My wife starts to chuckle when I do this step for some reason. And it's all done - ready for the smoker.
DSC00612.JPG

For a diagonal weave place the fattie cross-wise on the bacon.

DSC00613.JPG

...and wrap it the same way you would a normal weave.
DSC00614.JPG

As Porky pig would say "That all folks". Thanks for looking. Sorry no finished product. I had to go to the store with the wife after these were made. I'll smoke them up tomorrow.

Chris.

Attachments

• DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00613.JPG
    DSC00613.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00614.JPG
    DSC00614.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 44
I like the bacon weave as it serves two functions. First it looks good when finished, and second it helps prevent fattie blowouts. Here's how I do mine.

First you'll need about pound of bacon. Try to get some that is fairly straight. Thin sliced works better then regular. Unfortunatly I could only find the regular slice.
View attachment 365055

Just as with the fattie. Lay a piece of plastic wrap down on the counter then top with a piece of parchment paper. After put a piece of bacon down top to bottom to give you a guide of how big your weave is going to be. Next lay down pieces perpendicular to the first slice.
View attachment 365056
View attachment 365057

Then fold back the pieces that were under the first piece in the opposite dircection.
View attachment 365058

Put another slice of bacon down at the fold, and pull the folded bacon back over.
View attachment 365052

View attachment 365054

View attachment 365062
View attachment 365063

Once again start rolling up the parchment paper - a quarter of a turn at a time.
View attachment 365064
View attachment 365065

Take the plastic wrap and cover the fattie, twist the ends and give it a couple of spins to tighten. My wife starts to chuckle when I do this step for some reason. And it's all done - ready for the smoker.
View attachment 365066

View attachment 365067
View attachment 365068

As Porky pig would say "That all folks". Thanks for looking. Sorry no finished product. I had to go to the store with the wife after these were made. I'll smoke them up tomorrow.

Chris.
Chris

View attachment 365055

View attachment 365056
View attachment 365057

View attachment 365058

View attachment 365052

View attachment 365054

View attachment 365062
View attachment 365063

View attachment 365064
View attachment 365065

View attachment 365066

View attachment 365067
View attachment 365068

Chris.

Chris, your tutorials are exactly what this first-timer needed!! Your photos illustrate perfectly the process and I think I'll be able to make one this weekend. Fantastic work. Thank you so much!!

I hope you will continue with phase three "the smoke"

Anxious to make a fatty myself.

Reactions: negolien
Awe-sum, Chris. Great tutorial!
It must be an inside joke why she gets tickled by you spinning your meat. o_O:rolleyes::confused:

I like the diagonal. But then, I'm weird.

Reactions: PapaLlama
Good tutorial Chris
The only thing that I do differently is that before wrapping the weave around the meat i sandwich it in plastic film (e.g. put another layer on the top) and then flatten it with a rolling pin. This helps to bind the bacon weave together, fills in any small holes between the weave and also makes it slightly larger so the bacon goes further.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great tutorial. You’ve got it going on. B

Thanks for nice words and like B - appreciate it. Paying it forward is the goal of this forum, and I'm only passing on what I've learned on smoking meat forums.

Chris, your tutorials are exactly what this first-timer needed!! Your photos illustrate perfectly the process and I think I'll be able to make one this weekend. Fantastic work. Thank you so much!!

I hope you will continue with phase three "the smoke"

Anxious to make a fatty myself.

Dunlap, thank you very much. I'm also hoping to get it smoked up today. It's up to mother nature. I'm glad I was able to help you out in some little way. Give it a go and let us know how it turns out. If you find a better way of doing something also let us know. We're all here to help and learn from each other.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks again for the great write-up and pictures!

Thanks Justin, I'm trying to give back some of what I've received here.

Great tutorial Chris! Thanks for sharing I am all over that diagonal weave...it looks so pretttty! :D

Thanks for the kindly words and like Charlotte. I like the diagonal weave better also. However it doesn't always fit all around the fatty. BTW, In my part of the world the boonies - it's purty. :)

Good tutorial Chris
The only thing that I do differently is that before wrapping the weave around the meat i sandwich it in plastic film (e.g. put another layer on the top) and then flatten it with a rolling pin. This helps to bind the bacon weave together, fills in any small holes between the weave and also makes it slightly larger so the bacon goes further.

Thanks for the tip Wade. I wish I knew that beforehand(next time). The bacon on the diagonal weave was a little narrower then what I wanted or saw in the package. That would have helped fill it in the gaps. Thanks for the tip, words and like. Appreciate it.

Chris

Awe-sum, Chris. Great tutorial!
It must be an inside joke why she gets tickled by you spinning your meat. o_O:rolleyes::confused:

I like the diagonal. But then, I'm weird.

Thanks Sonny for the like and kind words. Yeah, I don't know, her giggling started after I began making hard boiled scrambled eggs. She thought I was crazy until she tried one. Now she finds it amusing when I prepare dishes that aren't considered normally prepared.

Chris

Reactions: negolien and SonnyE
Thanks for the read and like hebs - appreciate it.

Chris

Thanks, Richie for the kind words and like. I started out intending to make a readers digest version of the fatty process. Then it just exploded into a three-part series.

Chris

Thanks Sonny for the like and kind words. Yeah, I don't know, her giggling started after I began making hard boiled scrambled eggs. She thought I was crazy until she tried one. Now she finds it amusing when I prepare dishes that aren't considered normally prepared.

Chris

Maybe you are like me, you just look so out of place playing in the kitchen.
We look like we belong out in the woods, uprooting trees and carrying dead animals home?
Grunting over a spit on a fire, roasting meat.

View attachment 365055

View attachment 365056
View attachment 365057

View attachment 365058

View attachment 365052

View attachment 365054

View attachment 365062
View attachment 365063

View attachment 365064
View attachment 365065

View attachment 365066

View attachment 365067
View attachment 365068

Chris.
Wow you made that look easy!! I’ve never done a weave cause I didn’t know how..... until now!!!! Thanks

Wow you made that look easy!! I’ve never done a weave cause I didn’t know how..... until now!!!! Thanks

Thanks Ishi, I owe a ton to this site for the same reason.

Chris

gmc2003, thanks for your tutorial. Trying my first fattie tomorrow. Ham, pastrami,organic orange sweet bell pepper, onion, mexican blend cheese, a little sweet baby rays on top of the cheese, rolled up, did the bacon weave, can't wait. Told the wife what I did as she was at work and she said disgusting, it's all good more for me and my friends. She will be sorry!

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Sounds great, nice combo. Your right it's her loss. My wife was indifferent to the idea also - that is until I offered her a slice. Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Reactions: smokininidaho
I did just did a second fattie today <Jasmine Rice. Cranberry..pepper jam..trio of cheese. I was gonna do another repeat but parents had a special request for jasmine rice. It actually rolled better>

I actually used a rolling pin on my bacon weave so it looked like a bacon weave this time! But..GMC...can you do a tutorial on doing a 2x the size bacon weave? I want to do fatties in a 1.5 gallon freezer bag just for the ease..which I couldn't find..so what I got is 2 gallon ones. So I'd need to do 3 pounds of meat, which definitely to me means a much bigger weave is needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky