Fatties, Part two the bacon weave.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did just did a second fattie today <Jasmine Rice. Cranberry..pepper jam..trio of cheese. I was gonna do another repeat but parents had a special request for jasmine rice. It actually rolled better>

I actually used a rolling pin on my bacon weave so it looked like a bacon weave this time! But..GMC...can you do a tutorial on doing a 2x the size bacon weave? I want to do fatties in a 1.5 gallon freezer bag just for the ease..which I couldn't find..so what I got is 2 gallon ones. So I'd need to do 3 pounds of meat, which definitely to me means a much bigger weave is needed.

That's gonna be one big mother of a fatty!!! Tom, to expand the weave you'd have to intertwine the bacon weave. I've only done it once before. You'll also have to be careful when handling the weave it because it becomes very delicate. Not to mention you'll need a BIG spatula.

I'm planning a trip to Georgia currently so I'm not sure I'll be able to do this demo any time soon - so I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First, if you look at the second picture where it says to "Fold back every other piece". I would lay another piece of bacon over the perpendicular piece of bacon in that picture.. Repeat for every slice of bacon, and only overlap the width of the perpendicular piece. You should wind up with twelve slices of bacon end to end with one slice perpendicular to them in the middle. Then you would continue making the weave on the right side. Once that side is finished I would start the other side except working from the middle out to the end. In other words start from the perpendicular piece and weave outwards. Good luck, it's not as difficult as I'm probably making it sound. Once you start I think you'll understand what I'm saying. These are instructions for making it twice as long.

To make it twice as wide just lay two pieces of bacon down at the top with one overlapping the other by about the width of a slice of the bacon your using. Then line up the bacon slices perpendicular to the two slices and continue on with the weave. It should wind up being about eleven slices wide instead of six.

Let me know if you have any questions, and make sure to post pics of how it turns out.

Chris

That's gonna be one big mother of a fatty!!! Tom, to expand the weave you'd have to intertwine the bacon weave. I've only done it once before. You'll also have to be careful when handling the weave it because it becomes very delicate. Not to mention you'll need a BIG spatula.

I'm planning a trip to Georgia currently so I'm not sure I'll be able to do this demo any time soon - so I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First, if you look at the second picture where it says to "Fold back every other piece". I would lay another piece of bacon over the perpendicular piece of bacon in that picture.. Repeat for every slice of bacon, and only overlap the width of the perpendicular piece. You should wind up with twelve slices of bacon end to end with one slice perpendicular to them in the middle. Then you would continue making the weave on the right side. Once that side is finished I would start the other side except working from the middle out to the end. In other words start from the perpendicular piece and weave outwards. Good luck, it's not as difficult as I'm probably making it sound. Once you start I think you'll understand what I'm saying. These are instructions for making it twice as long.

To make it twice as wide just lay two pieces of bacon down at the top with one overlapping the other by about the width of a slice of the bacon your using. Then line up the bacon slices perpendicular to the two slices and continue on with the weave. It should wind up being about eleven slices wide instead of six.

Let me know if you have any questions, and make sure to post pics of how it turns out.

Chris
I won't be trying it for a while ! LOL. I was also thinking of cheating..just two regular weaves and one for each side and a few tooth picks when smoking it.

I know if I did a 1.5 gallon bag I'd need to make it a bit bigger too; but for that I figured I'd just lay some bacon on the top where there was gaps <or leave it>. I just hate rolling the fatty. I sort of missed the skill set from the 70's.. ;) <Bad joke I know!>

Perfect instructions. I did mine with the diagonal angle and feel like that works better to ensure the ends are fully covered. It just seemed easier. Thanks for sharing this.

George

Perfect instructions. I did mine with the diagonal angle and feel like that works better to ensure the ends are fully covered. It just seemed easier. Thanks for sharing this.

George

Thanks George, glad it help you out. I prefer the diagonal weave as well not just for the reason you mentioned, but I think it makes for a nicer presentation as well. Thanks again.

Chris

I won't be trying it for a while ! LOL. I was also thinking of cheating..just two regular weaves and one for each side and a few tooth picks when smoking it.

I know if I did a 1.5 gallon bag I'd need to make it a bit bigger too; but for that I figured I'd just lay some bacon on the top where there was gaps <or leave it>. I just hate rolling the fatty. I sort of missed the skill set from the 70's.. ;) <Bad joke I know!>

Tom, if you ever do get to making the monster, it may be better to wrap in single slices instead of the weave. Just something to think about.

Chris

Tom, if you ever do get to making the monster, it may be better to wrap in single slices instead of the weave. Just something to think about.

Chris
Might be a valid point..or if I did the two wraps seperately, just dress it up with some twine to hold the shape..I dunno, now I kind of want to try what might be a 3-4 pound fatty LOL

This is really great tutorial, Chris! Thank you for sharing. Never tried this before (because I never knew how to do it :)) but on my list "to do" now. Thank you again!

Thanks push for the kind words and like. Enjoy your fatty when you make it. It is a must do for smokers to try at least once. Let us know what type of fatty you finally decide on. The choices are only limited by your imagination.

A great tutorial deserves a like!

Why thank you very much Disco. I really appreciate it.

Chris

Alright Chris it's time for you to put together lists and pictures of good fattie fillings, because I can never think of any but cheese and more cheese.

Alright Chris it's time for you to put together lists and pictures of good fattie fillings, because I can never think of any but cheese and more cheese.

Now that would be quite the undertaking Tom. I'm not sure my waistline is up to it. However I'll keep that thought in the back of my mind the next time I roll one.

Chris

I haven't studied up much on it, but what if you cured your own bacon and cut with the grain so you had longer slices? Not sure how it affects the texture if at all. I read 2 items on the topic, one for and one against...

I haven't studied up much on it, but what if you cured your own bacon and cut with the grain so you had longer slices? Not sure how it affects the texture if at all. I read 2 items on the topic, one for and one against...

Sorry CSR, I've never made bacon so I can't answer your question. One of the mak'n bacon guys will have to chime in on it.

Chris

@NU2SMOKE

Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky