Eye of round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullborebbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Buffalo,NY
This was moved as my response was in the SV forum, My bad.

Great looking eye of round! I will need to do a picture of my favorite prep. Here in Western NY we love our Beef on Kimmelweck! Here is my favorite way of doing this for a 3-4 lb roast.

First get two small bottles ( 1/2 cup each ) of Montreal steak seasoning. Walmart sells them for about $2 a bottle. Try one regular and one smoked. Keep in mind this recipe works even if you do not have time for your smoker, but it's even better if you do.

Take one bottle (I prefer to use the smoked for this step) dump it in 2 cups of water and boil it for 30 min. Cool in fridge. Trim your eye of round and place in a container not much bigger than your roast add the cooled brine and enough (bottled) water to cover. cover container and forget it for 24 hours.

Take out your roast and pat it dry. Lightly rub it with olive oil and cover it with the other container of Montreal seasoning. Insert your meat probe and cook it at 325 degrees in the oven or your smoker until the inside temp hits 125-128 (med rare). Pull it, let it cool at room temp for an hour or two and then wrap in plastic and refrigerate it until fully cooled.

You can use the dripping form the roast to make your Au Jus but be careful it might be salty if not cut down with beef stock enough.

Put that puppy on your slicer and slice it thin! Heat up your Jus and dip the meat in just until heated and place on you Kimmelweck roll with some horse radish and enjoy!!!!!

Kimmelweck Roll
https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ea16e4661d2386691c122655bef5625e&action=click

Eye of round.jpg

Last edited:
Damn!!! that beef looks amazingly awesome, it's done so nicely that it looks like you sous vide it first.
I'm going to grab a few bottles of that M.S.S. for sure so I can try this Tuesday, which is my wife's Saturday. I'll have to make up a batch of horsey sauce to go with it or I will never hear the end of it.

So do you smoke the MSS just like you would smoke salt or paprika? If so how long did you smoke it for?

Would bottom round be ok? they are on sale for $3.00 per pound right now, I might have to go grab one today.

Thank you.
Dan

Last edited:
We don't have a super Walmart close to us, but I'll look for it at our store.
I bet I can order it through them and have it delivered to our little store and have it by Tuesday.

(edit)
I just checked, they have it at our local store. :emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks for that.
Dan

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky