English roast?

  • Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.


Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Central Ohio
What is an english roast? Local market has them on sale for $2.28/lb so thought I would get one for the smoker but not sure what cut of meat it is. I want to do something small before I try doing a whole brisket. Will any small roast work or are there ones I should stay away from?
Hi twister,
I had never heard of that before either.But it sounded like a pot roast to me.
So,I did a quick search and I was right.
They say it's a cross rib roast.
Here's a pic and a description for you.

cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast = English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast with dry heat. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast OR 7-bone roast

Hope this helps.
It may still work.
Maybe if you butterfly it so it's not so thick through.
And do it just like you would a brisket.
Worth a try I think.
I did an round roast without butterflying and it a little to lean but edible.(tasty)
I've had success with chuck roasts. I like to foil them at around 150 degrees and take it on up to 200 degrees internal for pulling.
Jim, that would be a great slogan to put on a tee shirt or an apron.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads