4.5 lb NY strip roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
So I got a 4.5lb NY Strip roast on sale. We have been wanting good steak since it’s hard to come by near us. My question with this is should I slice it up into thick steaks and cook it that way or cook it as a whole? I don’t know if the whole thing would be too big for 2 adults and 3 little ones.
IMG_9076.jpeg
IMG_9077.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good problem to have. I could make a case for eating it either whole or sliced into steak. If you wanting steak, slice it into 2-3 thick steaks and reverse sear. No matter what you choose, it will be a winner.

I don’t know if the whole thing would be too big for 2 adults and 3 little ones.
I always look at it by the weight . Divide that in my head into portions , at whatever rate . Gives me an idea of how far it goes . 8oz. per adult ?
I'll vote steaks .
Cast iron pan seared , then finish in the oven .
20220330_181608.jpg
20220330_182054.jpg

Depends on the mood.... I've cooked more than we can, then cold slice the leftovers for samichs (cold and dip), as well as in ramen. By the way, cold sliced PR served with cheese and a butter cracker is just magic....It makes a perfect snack!

Or steaks as others have said.....again its a mood thing for me. I have a 6 lber thawing that will be done whole and then left overs for samiches..... I have a 7 lb NY roast and I'm going to do 1/2 roast and 1/2 steaks......

I like them done either way - as long as it's not overcooked. Personally I would defer to however the wifey and little munchkins prefer it done.

Chris

I have smoked several of these. My wife likes her meat more done then everyone else, she gets the outside sides and we get the middle. The roast allows it to be in the smoke longer for more smoke flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky