Easter Smoked Leg of Lamb (Bone In)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Warlock

Original poster
May 11, 2016
Bethlehem, PA
Way back in 2019 when we could gatehr in large numbers at Back Yard Barbecues, a friend of mine smoked a Leg of Lamb and it was delicious and recently my Wife and I saw some nice selection of Lamb Legs at our local Wegmans (local grocery chain) and we decided to pick one up.
Doing some research on these forums, I found Edward36's recipe:

I then contacted my friend and got his smoking technique (time, temp, resting, etc).

I combined all of this information and with a few tweaks I smoked a delicious Leg of Lamb!

Deviations from Edward36's recipe:
-Two full sprigs of fresh Rosemary
-In addition to the "Salt & pepper to taste" I added about two Tablespoons of Course Ground Black Pepper
-I kept all of the drippings from the marinade that did not stick to the leg overnight and basted the leg with the drippings about about an hour before completion.

Prep: Day before
Marinade: Overnight
Initial Rest: Rested for 1 hour before placing on smoker to raise the meat temp a bit
Smoke: 5 hours ~ 225F
Wrap: Butcher Paper
Post Rest: 1 Hour

Here are the pictures from the process :)

Here is the Leg of Lamb washed, prepped and ready:
IMG_20210403_203535.jpg

I inserted the garlic slivers into both sides of the leg:
IMG_20210403_203701.jpg
IMG_20210403_204624.jpg

After rubbing the marinade all over the leg and giving it a generous coating I wrapped it in Shrink Wrap (very annoying as it never wants to stick where you want it to):
IMG_20210404_095453.jpg

Starting the Smoke at 10:00AM:
IMG_20210404_103311.jpg

Here is a pic as it progressed through the smoke:
IMG_20210404_122037.jpg

My eldest daughter arrived and let me try on her new Sun Glasses as I drank, err... I mean patiently waited for the meat to get to temp:
IMG_20210404_170845.jpg

Here is the Leg as it looked when I took it off the smoker. You can see I basted with the extra marinade, and it really helped keep everything moist:
IMG_20210404_165318.jpg

I wrapped the leg in Butcher paper to let it rest for about an hour:
IMG_20210404_165554.jpg

Rested, unwrapped and ready to carve:
IMG_20210404_181344.jpg

Not the best plating, but tasted soooo good and we got so much meat off of that leg!
IMG_20210404_182224.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Cheers,
Morgan.

That looks excellent, except I like my lamb rare to med/rare.
We don’t eat much lamb here cause it’s so expensive.
But yours sure looks good!
Al

That looks excellent, except I like my lamb rare to med/rare.
We don’t eat much lamb here cause it’s so expensive.
But yours sure looks good!
Al

Thanks Al!
Yea, Lamb is pretty pricy, but I wanted to experiment and learn more about smoking different meats.
I typically eat my red meat medium, but was a bit nervous cooking this as it was my first time, so I errored on the side of caution.

Cheers,
Morgan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky