Dry brine thighs..rotisserie style plus some corn, taters and veggies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
Haven't had some good dry brine thighs in a while and love the crispy skin so they went on the rotisserie today with the rest of the dinner.  Hung the corn, potatoes and put some green veggies up topside in my swivel cook area.  Todays cook was cooked over some green maple...nice slow burn.   Thanks for stopping by!!!

Here's the cook the beginning.

Looks great! That paper towel looks like tp with the strap on it,please tell me it's paper towel I hope your not that addicted to smoking.:biggrin

Looks great. I agree, tp next to the smoker??????

Looks like a full smoker!

Nice smoke Keith!
Thanks Case!...Oh plenty of room for a lot more for sure though.    It's pretty nice to have different cooking zones which does add to the capacity.
Looks great! That paper towel looks like tp with the strap on it,please tell me it's paper towel I hope your not that addicted to smoking.:biggrin
Thanks B!   Yea my side table is 17" long if that puts things into perspective. lol

Awesome smoke Keith ! Thumbs Up Waiting patiently for plated pics ! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Awesome smoke Keith !
icon14.gif
Waiting patiently for plated pics !
biggrin.gif
Thanks Justin but never got to plated pics. haha  ...It all got inhaled to fast

Keith I would kike more info on the dry brine,care to share.TIA 

Richie
Sure dry brining is pretty simple really, It just involves sprinkling kosher salt on to the meat 2 teaspoons per lb.  It will help the proteins of the meat retain more water during the cook and help pull other seasonings into the meat...for poultry it really helps crisp the skin.     This cook I just used a SPG rub and let it sit for 3 hours.    I don't  know if we're allowed to link websites so just look up amazing ribs dry brining...it's a good article that gets into the science of it.

It sure works out good dry brining and then spinning on the roti.

Reactions: tropics
Keith Thanks I was thinking that,but I don't get paid for thinking LOL Points for a nice cook

Richie

points.gif

Nicely done! Sweet & simple...and cooked over hard-wood with enough BTU's for multi-level cooking...even hangin' corn...gotta try that number sometime.

I'm envious 'cuz there is little to no hard-woods to be had around here, unless you have really deep pockets to have it delivered from the Black Hills (I can't haul it myself for less, either).

This REALLY has me hoping that the fire restrictions in our vicinity won't be tightened to stage 2 before our next camping trip with our oldest daughter & her hubby, 'cuz I'm planning on having a couple of my black cookers (including CI DOs) along for the trip.

Thanks for sharing the ride, brother...I enjoyed it!!!

Eric

Nicely done! Sweet & simple...and cooked over hard-wood with enough BTU's for multi-level cooking...even hangin' corn...gotta try that number sometime.

I'm envious 'cuz there is little to no hard-woods to be had around here, unless you have really deep pockets to have it delivered from the Black Hills (I can't haul it myself for less, either).

This REALLY has me hoping that the fire restrictions in our vicinity won't be tightened to stage 2 before our next camping trip with our oldest daughter & her hubby, 'cuz I'm planning on having a couple of my black cookers (including CI DOs) along for the trip.

Thanks for sharing the ride, brother...I enjoyed it!!!

Eric
Thanks Eric!   Too bad you don't have a good wood supplier, Maybe try tree trimmers?  I've had good luck with them.   Anytime a neighbor cuts down a tree I'll ask where the wood is going.

Thanks Eric!   Too bad you don't have a good wood supplier, Maybe try tree trimmers?  I've had good luck with them.   Anytime a neighbor cuts down a tree I'll ask where the wood is going.
Yeah, only problem is that even with older landscaping nobody seemed to want to plant anything other than Elm, Silver Maple, Russian Olive, Cottonwood, and an occasional Aspen or 2...if you look at the right place and time you may even see an elusive Weeping Willow now and then. There are far more pine, fir and cedar than anything else, especially if you're looking at native species. Hardwood species around here are pretty rare, and short of driving well over a hundred miles one way you won't find oak, maple...none of the good stuff.

If I had access to hardwoods I might still be using my old Brinkmann SnP 40...I liked cooking on it, but it liked fuel...either propane (~1lb/hr) (did a conversion) or charcoal (1.5lb+/hr) about broke me, and it was even worse after I installed a custom tuning plate. When I fired that hog up for a smoke it was time to scavenge the freezer for anything I could find to fill the cooking grate...it was that bad...no rest for the wicked, I'm tellin' ya. As things turned out, if I did in fact have hardwoods, I may have never decided to roll with my arsenal of Weber kettles or the WSM, which means I'd likely not have acquired a spinner for a kettle, and...well...the way I see it, that would have just been a tragedy...LOL!!!

It may be a bit spendy, but for occasional use, but I think I could get enough BTUs from RO lump to do a spinner and double-grate cook with my WSM 18. I think with the roti-ring down low, fire on one side, add the barrel to the ring and toss in the food grates...huh, now I'm curious...gotta go out and have a look-see.

Eric

EDIT: Just checked the WSM and roti-ring fit...not good...roti-ring fits fire bowl and there'd be room for a fire on one side, especially if you removed the coal-ring...barrel won't fit onto roti-ring and WSM lid won't fit onto roti-ring (previously checked that). I can fit the ring on the barrel and use the kettle lid without mods, but that would be too cool of temps for a decent spinner cook with the fire 2.5ft below the spit-rod...yeah, not much point unless I was burning hardwood. Anyway, I had to look.

Last edited:
I'll smoke silver maple all day long. It's not the hardest of hardwoods but it cooks up some tasty BBQ for sure.   I've been burning some green silver maple the last few cooks and LOVE it!   It  burns nice and slow, perfect for the 007 setup.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky