Double smoked ham w/ duck fat drippings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate-73

Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Long time lurker just created an account.

Going to be double smoking a ham tomorrow and will be loosely following Bears delicious sounding recipe. Since I also have a duck thawed, I was thinking about instead of using the ham skin and fat above the ham to render on it, using a duck instead and letting the duck fat render onto the double smoked ham.

I even thought about placing bacon around the duck and letting both render onto the ham.

Not sure is either would be good, but it sure does sound like it.

Anyone tried this before? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Never tried it but have yet to find anything savory Duck Fat don't make taste better. You don't need no Stinking Bacon!...JJ

IMG_0012.JPG
Here is the ham and duck before going in. I had some gizzards that needed to be used so I threw them around the duck and some underneath the ham to sit in the juices.

Looks Great Nate!!:)

Great Idea with the Duck basting!

Nice Job--Like.

PS: Welcome to SMF

Bear

The ham was pretty good, but the duck didn't render like I'd hoped. I tossed it on the grill to crisp it up afterwards.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky