Do you wash your butt? and other meats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you wash you meat before smoking it?

• No

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes, all meats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just poultry

• Poultry and all cryovaced meats

• Poultry and beef

• Poultry and pork

• Poultry and goat/lamb and wild game

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graybeard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2008
Athens Ga
I've always washed my meats before smoking, grilling, etc. I was surprised to read these instructions from the FDA folks! It's just fine that you don't have to wash the meat but I will continue to do so.
icon_smile.gif
SOO, do you or don't you
icon_question.gif
How about a poll
icon_question.gif

beard

CLEAN: Wash hands and surfaces often
Wash your hands with warm, soapy water for 20 seconds before and after handling food. Wash your cutting boards, dishes, etc., with hot, soapy water after preparing each food item. Wash fruits and vegetables with cold water before using. There is no need to wash or rinse meat or poultry.
icon_neutral.gif

Rinsing Pork
It isn't necessary to wash raw pork before cooking it. Any bacteria which might be present on the surface would be destroyed by cooking.
icon_neutral.gif

EDIT: Folks, graybeard asked that I post this poll for him- so if you have already commented on this thread, please participate in the poll.

Thanks~Dutch

I don't wash all of my meat, but I always wash anything that was cryopacked. It just seems funky otherwise. All of my dry aged, locally processed beef gets thawed, sawdust scraped off, patted with a paper towel, seasoned and cooked (hopefully to perfection).

I rinse everything cryo'd. If its fresh, not so much. of course all utensils/work surfaces get scrubbed, washed and sanitized.

I rinse all of of my meat especially if it was in cryovac. You need to remove the blood etc.
Steaks no.

I wash some of the meat I smoke specially if it was cryovaced. I just like to get some of the funk off the meat before I season it.

I usually only wash the bony parts to remove the bone chips left from the bandsaw. I gotta watch my other half when she is helpin me because
she will wash the taste outta EVERYTHING.. Hemi..
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Hemi,
that might be the prettiest rig I ever saw! love wrought iron!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

BTW, I remember my mom always use to tell me to wash my butt!!

Just like most others who responded, I thoroughly rinse anything that's been in cryo. But, I have on occasion rinsed meat out of the regular section - especially poultry and pork. Not usually beef. Good to know about the pork though.

I rinse all meats, and pat it dry before I do anything with it.

Also, it's really nobody's business, but I wash my butt every day!

Bearcarver

icon_lol.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

I rinse off everything....
If you followed any of my RIB threads I also run the membrane side of ribs in HOT water for about 10 secs which helps that membrane to pull off easier!!

-chicken I typically give a rinse
-pork butts and shoulders I dont rinse
-pork ribs I rinse, and then pour some vinegar over before patting dry and rubbing.
-beef i dont rinse

The main thing I try to do is get all the bone chips rinsed off. One meat I don't rinse is ground beef.
icon_smile.gif

I shower with mine. They just love my conditioner. They tell me it makes their hair shiney and soft.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Yes, I rinse off with cold water anything cryovac'd. Chicken if it feels like it needs it. Sometimes chicken will get that sort of "film" like feeling to it. But lately I've been buying a brand of chicken (MBA Brand "Smart Chicken") that does not feel like it needs it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky