How do you record your Recipes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For recipes in general, the Paprika app is fantastic (on both PC and iPad). For cured stuff where % is important, a Google spreadsheet.

Edit: for recipes using volume, I generally find another recipe that uses weight….

Reactions: DailyLunatic
I am an engineer for my day job so spreadsheets/recipes were part of me from the beginning.

I need to get a better scale to switch over the percentages (for the small batches).

Even though I prefer percentages over teaspoons/tablespoons, the quality and potency of the seasoning(s) is equally important to portion control.

For recipes in general, the Paprika app is fantastic (on both PC and iPad). For cured stuff where % is important, a Google spreadsheet.

Edit: for recipes using volume, I generally find another recipe that uses weight….
Volume recipes are difficult to scale, not impossible, just difficult.

I wonder why so many are by volume, when weights are so superior.

I rarely find one by weight, and have only seen one by %.

-sterling

My 'find a different recipe' refers to baking & charcuterie only, which both rely on precision. For general cooking, volume is fine, I cook more to taste than anything else, so I almost never use the exact amounts specified.

Reactions: zwiller
I use grams and spreadsheets.
Don't use the bakers percentages often as most recipes give actual amounts, but I do calculate & show them in the spreadsheet.
Added an addition column to mine for changing quantities.
Basic recipe is entered in 1., in a "How many do you want to make" box, I enter the # I want.
Could be 2,3, .5, or... and the columns get adjusted to the new amounts for all of the ingredients.
I created the spreadsheet initially for pizza, then started using it for bread, sausages, and anything else where it would be useful.

I record my recipes using percentages of the total weight, similar to the approach in the YouTube video you mentioned. This method allows for scalability and flexibility in adjusting the recipe for different batch sizes.

I use an Excel Spreadsheet to input the percentages and easily scale the recipe up or down based on the amount of meat I have. This approach eliminates the need for fixed measures like tablespoons or grams for a set weight and provides a more adaptable way to create and modify blends.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
If you learn to use the metric system and have everything is g per kg then percentages are much easier you don’t need much math besides moving a few decimals and some simple multiplication and division… notebook for me and recording here on this forum is also a good one for me so I can look back easily with my phone

I write them down on the computer, save them and then allow One Drive to automatically upload it. I will, from time to time, copy them to a thumb drive. Once I have enough, I plan to print it all and make books for my kids.

As for measurements, tea and tablespoons, cups, etc.

Here are a bunch of templates I have downloaded over time. Not an expert on any of them but I'm sure you can figure them out.

Attachments

• Recipe Template SMF.zip
    527.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm on a MAC and use macgourmet for all my recipes and continually add notes to each recipe I smoke. Regardless of what you use, the important thing is you religiously take detailed notes when you smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky